AR15 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an awesome rifle. Its loud but mild and very accurate. I ran 60 rounds through it flawlessly except on the next to the last round the bolt held opened. I checked the chamber and there was a live round in there. Any idea what caused that? Also the tip of the front post was off at about 7-15 yards (range had no markers) If I aimed half way down the post it was more accurate. Is it just the distance or what? Not too keen on AR sights.

I think I need to add a red dot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What an awesome rifle. Its loud but mild and very accurate. I ran 60 rounds through it flawlessly except on the next to the last round the bolt held opened. I checked the chamber and there was a live round in there. Any idea what caused that? Also the tip of the front post was off at about 7-15 yards (range had no markers) If I aimed half way down the post it was more accurate. Is it just the distance or what? Not too keen on AR sights.

I think I need to add a red dot.
As far as the front post and aiming lower, it sounds normal to me. I mean, look at the AR... the front sight is a few inches above the barrel, so you'd have to aim higher to hit what you want to hit at closer distances. At least I think that's what you're referring to! ;)

I'm glad you love your Stag! I sure love mine! I shot it this weekend outside, finally. OMG, I love my Aimpoint! I really like my Phantom brake on the end of it. Not sure if it compensates too much (I don't recall what the old recoil was like, lol), but it just looks wicked cool. Remember when I said I didn't like the looks of the Pmags, and y'all said I was retarded, but I said I would get one just to see what all the fuss was about? Well, they're farking cool, too!

We found a bone in the field...probably an old cow bone of some sorts. My Dad-in-Law propped it up and I shot it from about 35 yds and man, that thing blew to pieces and probably had bone shrapnel about 15 feet in the air! It was a good day. Even got Mrs. KingAirDriver to shoot the EBR...she liked it. :twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, BZO on a standard sight radius for the AR is 36 point something yds. I'd have to look it up for the exact number. Basically if you zero it at 36 yds, you'll be dead on at 36 and 300yds, low inside 36, a little high from 36 to 300, and low past 300.
A weak magazine spring may cause the bolt to lock open before the mag is empty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, BZO on a standard sight radius for the AR is 36 point something yds. I'd have to look it up for the exact number. Basically if you zero it at 36 yds, you'll be dead on at 36 and 300yds, low inside 36, a little high from 36 to 300, and low past 300.
A weak magazine spring may cause the bolt to lock open before the mag is empty.
Good info. Also I cant remember what mag it happened on but the floor plate on my Bushy has some play. I wonder if this could have caused it.

Hey King where did you get the pmag?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good info. Also I cant remember what mag it happened on but the floor plate on my Bushy has some play. I wonder if this could have caused it.

Hey King where did you get the pmag?
You'd have to ask the In-laws! I don't know where they got them from, but I'm 99% sure it was from aimsurplus.com. I think that was the website I told them to go to for mags for me. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear you like your Stag rifle. I'm piecing an AR together right now with a Stag lower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ditch the USGI mags and get some Pmags. Make sure you keep it lubed properly. AR's like to run wet.

Laz copped the Stag to intimidate all the knuckle head little boys who will want to date his adorable little girl. :mrgreen: Smart Move!

Eta: keep the mag, but get some pmags also :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a 50yrd zero, you're shots will be low below that range. At 7-15yrds, you'll have a Point Of Impact (POI) about 1.5 or so inches below the Point of Aim (POA) if you aren't adjusting for it. What range did you zero the weapon for?

As for the failure.. I'd run another 200-500 rounds through it and see if you're still having the issue. I think you might have had just a fluke malfunction.

As for ditching the USGI mags.. bah.. they work more than fine, have for longer than some of us have been alive. While I am a huge fan and proponent of the PMAG, I still have more USGI mags than PMAGs. Matter of fact I have about 20 USGI mags that have been following me around since 1993. Aside from adding the MagPul anti-tilt followers (most new generation USGI mags have a form of AT Followers) and ranger plates (which is better than the 550 cord and 100mph tape I used before) they have been my primary use mags for that whole time.

Learning to use the Iron sights is a very good skill to have for any weapon that has them. Optics do and will fail. While these days we have a wide variety of sight options, that is one of the greatest evolutions of the AR platform IMHO.

The traditional sights of the AR platform are well proven, designed to be handled by a person with an 8th grade education and have been used in every major gun fight the US military has been in since the 60's.. proven concept, I'd say so.

I'm an optics junkie myself, but I always zero the iron sights first, then move to the optic. I'm always adding or changing the options for my BUIS configurations, but they are always on the rifle.

Guess all I'm saying here with regards to the iron sights on your new rifle is that you stand to gain a whole lot by learning to use them correctly and to their fullest extent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hearing protection ! ;)

Learn to shoot with the irons first :p

Congrats on the Stag :cool:
+1. My ears and head was hurting afterwards. I have some ear muffs, forgot the rating but I'm going to put my little foamies in too next time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ditch the USGI mags and get some Pmags. Make sure you keep it lubed properly. AR's like to run wet.

Laz copped the Stag to intimidate all the knuckle head little boys who will want to date his adorable little girl. :mrgreen: Smart Move!
Will do nikon. I still need to clean and lube it.

You already know what it do. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
congratulations on the AR if economics are an issue Leapers makes a nice red dot that works great for me at 50 yards I am stacking bullets around each other which is awesome for some one who could barely see the half dollar sized mark through the dot at that range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
congratulations on the AR if economics are an issue Leapers makes a nice red dot that works great for me at 50 yards I am stacking bullets around each other which is awesome for some one who could barely see the half dollar sized mark through the dot at that range.
What model is it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Pmags are a superior product. Gasoline engines have worked since the 60's as well, but electric/hybrid is the future.
Magpul makes some nice stuff...I have bought plenty of their products but the advice to someone new to the AR to "dump the USGI mags and get Pmags" is silly. There is nothing wrong with USGI mags and the Stag should run with them.

I've got 60+ USGI 20 and 30 round mags and 1 Pmag. I'm not about to "dump" them for Pmags any time soon. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Magpul makes some nice stuff...I have bought plenty of their products but the advice to someone new to the AR to "dump the USGI mags and get Pmags" is silly. There is nothing wrong with USGI mags and the Stag should run with them.

I've got 60+ USGI 20 and 30 round mags and 1 Pmag. I'm not about to "dump" them for Pmags any time soon. ;)

Sure, your case is a bit different. Having so many I wouldn't dith them either. Laz probably has one or two. I agree, my NHMTG mags were good, but the Pmags IMHO are just better, and way more durable. Look at the pmag videos!

USGI: fail!
Pmag: pass!

:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea I only have 2 mags. 1 Bushmaster, the other Stag, but 10 rounds. The bad thing is PMags don't come in 10 do they? I can't wait to move. First thing I'm going to buy is some 30 rounders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts