Should I "retro" my retro AR even more? | AR15 Forums

Should I "retro" my retro AR even more?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by Snake45, May 12, 2006.

1. Snake45

Snake45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last year I built up a sort of retro AR--USAF no-assist 1:12 upper, A1 stock, A1 handguards, and so forth. Now I realize I've got the parts to go even a step earlier with it--early triangle charging handle, 3-prong flash, etc. Even got an early chrome no-notches carrier group! I'd need an early no-compartment buttstock. Might as well pick up a complete used set of furniture, fix it up a little, and paint it OD green like the early guns we had in the USAF. Sound like a worthwhile project?

One part I will NOT retro is my A2 front sight post. The improvement of the square post over the old round one is just too good to give up.

2. onmilo

onmilo Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with you.
    A2 furniture is better but if you are going for the original look then do it.

3. Kymas23

Kymas23 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I say go for it! Building a retro AR was more fun than building a mall ninja spec AR. I actually do prefer the A1 length stock since it seems to fit me better, but are are right about the A2 front sight being superior.

4. deltaheavy

deltaheavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You MUST go with the three prong FS and early buttstock. To quote Ben Stiller in "Starsky and Hutch": "Do it! Do it!" I've got the same setup (USAF upper) wearing an early M16 no-trapdoor buttstock and 3 prong FS, and it just "looks right." It has to be the lightest centerfire rifle I've ever owned. Get you an OD green canvas web sling, a handfull of 20 rd mags, and you're GTG. Plus if you add that 3-prong you'll never have to worry about bending your buffer tube :wink: :roll: .

5. Snake45

Snake45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Got the sling, got plenty of 20s--one of them even an early "waffle pattern" that still works fine! :D

6. JR

JR Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The "waffle" pattern wasn't the first. It was the second, in an attempt to correct the flimsiness of the first batch. They were basically throw aways.

If you REALLY want to RETRO, find some early ammo, don't use a chromed barrel and chamber, lose the cleaning rod, and get you one of those comic books regaling how the new M16 doesn't need to be cleaned!!

THEN, find yourself some AK-47 armed orientals, engage them in a fire-fight, and you'll soon enjoy the pleasure of a bolt-over jam.

There's a reason for the improvements of the last forty years, believe me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. OmegaMan

OmegaMan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw that on story of a gun. I can see why my uncle hates the ARs.

Painting the stocks, the orginal stocks are slick ploybudaline (Spelling, too lazy to check) plastic. Will the green stick to that?

Enjoy!

8. JR

JR Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Missed that on TV, lived it in SE Asia in 1967. :shock: :twisted:

9. Kevin Gibson

Kevin Gibson Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Snake,

Just caught this thread...Yes, you should go over the top retro! And if you don't like it, I'll swap you my A2.

10. Snake45

Snake45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a pic of the thing as it looks now. It normally runs an M261 .22 conversion but I put the early chrome bolt in it just for this pic.

Found an extra set of triangle handguards tonight that would be perfect to paint green. I think I have an extra pistol grip somewhere. Now all I need is the early no-door buttstock. Into the Wayback Machine with the thing! :D

Attached Files:

11. deltaheavy

deltaheavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure I got mine from Sarco, and I want to say it set me back about 20 bucks, but there were way too many margaritas between then and now, and those particular brain cells didn't make it. :wink: What I do remember is that I had to wrap some sandpaper around a broom handle and open up the buffer tube hole a wee bit to allow a RRA buffer tube to fit properly (just a couple thousandths too tight). Also don't forget that you'll have to trim 5/8" off the standard A2 buttstock retainer screw, unless you can find an A1-style screw. I simply performed surgery on an A2 screw and it works fine.

12. deltaheavy

deltaheavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wait a sec, I just took a closer look at the buttstock you've currently got. Is that an A1 stock with the trapdoor? If so, I'd be more than happy to just trade you for my no-door stock. My retro is not as "pure" as yours is going to be, and I've been thinking about picking up a trapdoor stock so I can stow an Otis kit. LMK.

13. Snake45

Snake45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No deal, Howie. Trap door stock makes a great place to store the sight adjustment tool, which is sorely needed with an A1 upper running a .22 conversion kit.

Sarco or Numrich or somebody has complete early furniture sets for about $16, I'll just grab one of those.

I prolly won't leave the gun "early retro" permanently, will prolly change back and forth between black and green as the mood strikes me. I like to tinker with my guns.

14. csmkersh

csmkersh Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wonder if you could find an original Mattel stock and handguard plus a lable "It's swell! It's from Matttel" you'd see occasionaly. That was Army, though, not AF.

15. deltaheavy

deltaheavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No prob, just figured I'd throw that out there. Mind telling me where you found the A1 stock? It looks better than the Cav Arms C1 stock I've been looking at.

16. Snake45

Snake45 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At Lackland (your backyard, Sam!), we had some 4- and 5- digit ARs with green furniture. We had some that had been handled and used so much that the finish was worn off and you could see the brown/rust-colored laid up fiberglass.

The Mattell stickers were most likely applied by joker GIs. Don't think Uncle Sugar ever issued any helmet covers with FTA on them but from looking at some pics, you might think they were standard issue. :D