AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently looking for a AR type rifle. I have seen alot of AR rifles and just seen the Sig 556. I was wondering if any of you own a Sig 556 and can let me know what you think about it. Also compare the Sig to a AR. My budget is around $2,200 right now. I will be going to a gun show in 2 weeks and want to have some help on my decision. Thanks guys and gals.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I just looked at a Sig 556 a couple weeks ago and it was about the same price in the gun shop as the S&W M&P rifle but it included some sort of holographic sight. I noticed it was heavier. With that kind of budget, you might want to consider one of the gas piston models. I'm in the same boat...looking to purchase my first AR. I want something with the accuracy of the AR but the reliability and lower maintenance requirements of an AK. Check out this thread and this thread.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Unless the guy in the shop was wrong, which very well may be the case, he said the Sig 556 he handed me was a direct impingement rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Have you guys seen the Sig 556 swat version? For $2,300 you can have it. I may save a couple more hundred bucks to get that one. I seen them both at a firearms dealer yesterday. They were not pushing the AR as much as they were pushing this Sig 556. One guy was telling me he just bought a AR10 and he was so dissapointed in the rifle. 10 minutes later he was filling out paper work for the Sig 556. I did not want to buy the Sig 556 on a impulse buy. I was close....to buy or not to buy?

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
You should look at moving as your first priority.;)
+1

Dont ARs in CA have to have fixed mags?

Also you have to remember that the aftermarket support for AR rifles is very strong. You can go from getting a 5.56 to 6.5, 6.8, .308 without buying a WHOLE separate rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
+1

Dont ARs in CA have to have fixed mags?

Also you have to remember that the aftermarket support for AR rifles is very strong. You can go from getting a 5.56 to 6.5, 6.8, .308 without buying a WHOLE separate rifle.
And no collapsible stocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Have you guys seen the Sig 556 swat version? For $2,300 you can have it. I may save a couple more hundred bucks to get that one. I seen them both at a firearms dealer yesterday. They were not pushing the AR as much as they were pushing this Sig 556. One guy was telling me he just bought a AR10 and he was so dissapointed in the rifle. 10 minutes later he was filling out paper work for the Sig 556. I did not want to buy the Sig 556 on a impulse buy. I was close....to buy or not to buy?
For that kind of money, I'm going to buy a piston system.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing here says it's piston operated...
Did you watch the video I posted on the front page? The guy stripped it and pulled a spring-piston out of the rifle. There has to be SOMETHING there to make it worth more $$$ than a regular AR, aside from the fancy furniture.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Found it.
http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProduct.aspx?categoryid=35

SIG 556

No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. SIG SAUER® offers the U.S. produced version as the SIG 556, which is available to the general consumer and law enforcement markets. The SIG 556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Which shop was this? It wasn't Trop's or Malin's was it?
No, but Tropp's is over priced and the same stuff happens there....calling magazines clips and what not. I just wish people who sold guns had a clue about them. I know there are a lot of types out there, but anything you're selling new, you should know about it.

Never heard of Malin's...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts