AR15 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting an AR in the next couple of days. One of my local shops has RRA tactical entries for $900 Bushmaster XM15 Carbine with non removeable carry handle and a SW M&P flat top with flip up sights, all of these are within $100 of each other.
But they also have the Sig 556 with Sig holosight for ~$200 more.

Is the Sig a good weapon? I know it is a gas piston weapon and looks similar to the AR, but do things like the collapseable stock and pistol grip change out with standard AR parts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i think you can change out the stock and the grip, its the handguard that you wont be able to swap out... I THINK... maybe someone else can chime in on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me the 556 was front heavy. I didn't particularly care for the balance, but to each his own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I just went ahead and bought the RRA. I'll post up some pics tonight when I get it home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You did the right thing going with RRA over the Sig. My buddy has the 556 and it is a great gun no failurs to date. The probelm is aftermarket parts their just aint any. You can change the stock and pistol grip the rest your stuck with and you have that stupid dovetail front site to deal with. Lets see pics of the RRA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are 2 supply lines for the front sight.. SIG and Samson.. expensive bastards too. Several folks have changed out the POS 556 front end for the 551 forend that you can get from a supplier in Switzerland (if memory is serving me correctly) .. there are also know issues with standard AR rear BUIS being too high, most commonly noted in my research was the ARMS #40 series.

All reports have it as a kick butt and dead reliable weapon. The weight and balance complaint are very common with those who are primarily AR shooters. Those of us who have battle rifles (FAL, CETME, G3 ect) don't see the weight as bad as some do.

You did good skipping it if you were that concerned. They aren't cheap to trick out and personally should have come with sights out of the gate, kinda a rip off for a $1200 rifle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You did good. You got the AR first... then make a decision. +1 on what others said about it being front heavy and no accessories for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what i read in my G&A issue with the reveiew and test it really was not very accurate of a rifle for the money spent to me! My 16" Olympic is way more accurate than that High Dollar dude.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i like it on paper, i havent held one but its the best deal out there in my opinion for a piston 5.56 I am holding out hoping they change a few things and get wise and it can accept AR accessories. I think they would sell a ton if it did, and i would already have one, regardless of it its front heavy or not. It would be a good value for a piston 5.56, i trust sig. Please make it happen sig dudes if your out there scouring the net and reading this.

I am on the fence personally whether to buy a new ar 10 .308, buy a FN FAL, or build my FN FAL and buy a bargain bin CMMG $570 rifle. Right now i want lots of accessories, lots of mags, TONS of ammo for two trustworthy guns, one in 5.56 and one .308 . I really hope they can come to their senses and tweak the sig 556 design before any sort of ban happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are 2 supply lines for the front sight.. SIG and Samson.. expensive bastards too. Several folks have changed out the POS 556 front end for the 551 forend that you can get from a supplier in Switzerland (if memory is serving me correctly) .. there are also know issues with standard AR rear BUIS being too high, most commonly noted in my research was the ARMS #40 series.

All reports have it as a kick butt and dead reliable weapon. The weight and balance complaint are very common with those who are primarily AR shooters. Those of us who have battle rifles (FAL, CETME, G3 ect) don't see the weight as bad as some do.

You did good skipping it if you were that concerned. They aren't cheap to trick out and personally should have come with sights out of the gate, kinda a rip off for a $1200 rifle.
First, I think it's great the original poster got the rifle they wanted. I do think that there are many "armchair quarterbacks" on the forums chiming in on the 556, no disrespect to the gent I quoted.

In reality, the gas piston design of the 556 immediately puts its AR competition into a very small group: POF, Bushmaster, DPMS, HK416, etc. Aside from personal ergonomic preferences, comparing them to S&W, RRA, etc. is unfair. The 556 is very favorably priced in relation to the gas piston rifles as most owner/operators will inevitably put many many extras on their rifle, especially optics and BUIS. Why should Sig add stuff that's just going to get replaced anyway and pass on that cost to us?

As for the dearth of accessories, it's simply not true. The 556 has the same picatinny rails that most ARs have, and can mount the same accessories. True, there's no readily available trigger upgrade, but get your hands on one and shoot it. My trigger is a thing of beauty, and needs no improvement.

True, there is a proprietary front sight dovetail, but Samson makes a very nice folding sight compatible with any AR rear BUIS (mine's a GG&G), and I'm certain it's only a matter of time before more are available. Aurora Industries has developed a very nice 551/2 style front post and matching diopter rear sight taken directly from the 551/2.

I don't post often, but as a 556 owner I felt compelled to respond. Lots of people erroneously compare the 556 to the non-piston ARs and even more unfairly the Sig 551/552.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I must add to my post also that i realize the gun mags arent the final word on rifles.And i must say also i am happy for the people that own the sig and other weapons like it .every one has different taste. wasnt tryin to put any one down or any thing like that.I guess after further research you cant put the piston rifles in the same class with regular Ar type rifles.totally different horse.

Also i cant say i wouldnt have one if i had the funds available!;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts