AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to get a new trigger. The one that came in my DPMS lower parts kit is the worst trigger out of all of my guns. I've been reading a lot of posts and articles and can't figure out which best suits me. I don't know anyone with an aftermarket trigger to let me try theirs out so I'm just going to buy one and hope I like it. I shoot from a bench or prone at paper targets and plan to start hunting woodchucks with it next summer. It's a 16" fluted barrel w/ a 10x scope on it.

The big question... do I want single or 2 stage? I like the sounds of a 2 stage but honestly have no idea if it's what I want.

If a 2 stage is in fact what I might want, is an RRA that I see for around a hundred bucks fine for me or do I really need to drop the cash on a Timney or McCormick?

Sorry for asking a question that probable has no right answer but I need some input before picking a random trigger to order :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you own an XD? That is a 2 stage trigger. Trigger moves with ease until you reach that spot where you run into a wall beyond which you will send a round down range. Your DPMS is a single stage which means you start out at that "wall." I have DPMs lower parts kit and I don't mind the trigger, but there are things you can do to make it better. Check in at ar15.com and see what you can find. You might like the trigger after a little tweaking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't know what a 2 stage trigger is, then it doesn't sound like you do a lot of shooting with your rifle. So I would not suggest sinking a bunch of cash in for a new trigger.
Spend it on ammo and get used to shooting accurately at long distances. Once you do that for awhile, you can progress further with a new trigger.

That being said, for paper and woodchucks, I'd go with a simple 2 stage trigger setup. You'll pull up on the triggers slack, then you'll hit the wall of the trigger pull and realize you're only a millimeter away from the trigger breaking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I was pretty vague. I understand the fundamental concept of each and can picture what each would feel like. I think I would like the long smooth travel and clean break of a 2 stage in a rifle but without being able to actually try one I'm just looking for people's opinion on them. I decided on an RRA 2 stage but If other people bought 2 stage and hate it I'll learn from their mistake :cool:

I guess my question would better be phrased as would you recommend getting a 2 stage trigger for target shooting/woodchucks or sticking with a nice single stage?

Thanks for the recommendation Myk9noseknows.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind spending a couple $$, the JP triggger group and hammer are what I consider the cats meow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use and prefer the JP trigger/hammer combo, also. Nice single-stage trigger. Pulls just about exactly like the Timney triggers on my 700s, and that's the way I want it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some one posted it here not too long ago, but there are some really easy ways to clean up the "battle" trigger on the AR. You might want to give that a try and if you still don't like it, give the RRA 2stage trigger a go. Got both, prefer the regular trigger on the carbines and the 2 stage on the long range shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some one posted it here not too long ago, but there are some really easy ways to clean up the "battle" trigger on the AR. You might want to give that a try and if you still don't like it, give the RRA 2stage trigger a go. Got both, prefer the regular trigger on the carbines and the 2 stage on the long range shooter.
My coworker who got me into ARs actually suggested getting some green paste stuff (abrasive compound but the proper name escapes me) and working that on the contact surfaces by dry firing a bunch of times. As long as i don't smack the bolt release with the hammer it seems like it should work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you don't mind spending a couple $$, the JP triggger group and hammer are what I consider the cats meow.
Problem with the JP is it does not last. I had one and it was great until it started to double. Then it had to be retuned. Then it went ok for a while then it needed to be re tuned. If you want a reliable trigger that is less than 4 pounds you need a 2 stage trigger.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Problem with the JP is it does not last. I had one and it was great until it started to double. Then it had to be retuned. Then it went ok for a while then it needed to be re tuned. If you want a reliable trigger that is less than 4 pounds you need a 2 stage trigger.
Pat
I have put a minimum of 10,000 rounds through my Bushy with JP trigger group and speed hammer and have experienced exactly ZERO problems. Did you use mil-spec or JP hammers with the triggers that doubled on you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have put a minimum of 10,000 rounds through my Bushy with JP trigger group and speed hammer and have experienced exactly ZERO problems. Did you use mil-spec or JP hammers with the triggers that doubled on you?
The hammer and trigger as well as the springs were all JP. I am not the only one to observe this. Go to www.m4carbine.net and do a search on JP triggers. They are fine for games but not for serious guns as they don't hold up.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I grabbed an RRA 2 stage at the gun show today. The guy also had a Jard single stage 2lb trigger next to it but I stuck with the RRA. Paid $100 out the door for it. I'll install it tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys were right. The 2 stage is excellent. I can live with the 4.5lb+ break being that it's so clean.

Thanks for recommending it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts