AR15 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Rock River Car A4 two days ago and already see the need for a sling. There are only about 25 different kinds out there - what brands and or models do you guys recommend for a Carry/Tactical type sling?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i bought a 3 pt tacticool sling and cant figure the damn thing out,,,,, if you can/know someone who can sew, but strapping, measure, but clips, measure, sew, cut, clip, slide.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am new to all of this. Can someone explain what a one point, two point, three point sling means?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has to do with the number of attachment points ;)

Single point.......1 mounting point usually at rear of receiver

2 point usually mounted under front sight and rear of buttstock

3 point front and rear mounting point with another "loop" as the 3rd point

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have several that I use. For the carbines I use the Vtac sling, which is a 2 point, or the IDF style sling.

For the rifles I use either a match leather sling, or the Garand/M14 web sling.

It is sort of like holsters as was said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Single Points are cool but when you hump, it means you have to carry the rifle. You can't just let the rifle hang like that during serious humping.

3 Point slings are cool because you can have many configuration to suit your gear or your mood. But just way to many straps, and more straps means more chances of tangling in one form or the other.

Traditional 2-point Rifle slings are the best for humping with gear. Though not very tactical looking and old school, there is no better way to sling a rilfe for navigating through rough forest, or for a road march.

I myself like 2 point slings but longer and more padding. I need longer in case I want to sling it over the back of my neck and accross my chest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the directions on how to make your own. You can order all of the stuff needed to make you own through a company that is listed in the thread. You can specify color, as well as type of webbing. I think it's less than 15 buck for everything shipped.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=19&t=252462

I made mine which can be seen here

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=596395&postcount=487

I have since added some sling things to it so that it attaches right behind the buffer tube

Good luck and have fun making it....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 point - Think of a classic sling that you've seen since you were a kid. This is also the sling where you can "push" your arm outward on the sling when properly wrapped to stablize the rifle.

Single point - Exactly as mvician has in the picture. A loop that goes over one shoulder and under the arm pit of the oppsite arm, linked together to a common attaching point. When the user lets go, the firearm will point directly up and down. Problem is, that you can't wrap this type of sling at all around your arm for more stable aiming.

3 point - as mvician has pointed out attaches to the weapon at 2 points and the 3rd is back onto its self. Your body goes into the loop, strong side over the shoulder, weak side under the arm. When the user lets go of the firearm, the firearm will drop across the body diagonally. Think of the firearm as "ready low" because it's already in that position. In fact, it's nice since it's in that position, it's quicker access. Problem is you can't wrap the sling for more stable aiming either.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!!

This all makes much more sense.

Sidenote for EricCartmann, as far as heavy duty humping, my wife doesn't let me bring the AR in bed, so I will not need a sling for humping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was a wonderful response. I would suggest if your new to it go spend 15 bucks at a military surplus store and buy five of them. My AK sling cost me three bucks. Go buy an assortment figure out the style you want, then either build or buy a good one.

Oh if you tighten it down, a 3 point is fine for a hump, but if its smooth, it keeps slipping off the damn pack strap on your shoulder. I hated my 3 point in boot camp, but it also broke twice and was a piece of ****.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was a wonderful response. I would suggest if your new to it go spend 15 bucks at a military surplus store and buy five of them. My AK sling cost me three bucks. Go buy an assortment figure out the style you want, then either build or buy a good one.

Oh if you tighten it down, a 3 point is fine for a hump, but if its smooth, it keeps slipping off the damn pack strap on your shoulder. I hated my 3 point in boot camp, but it also broke twice and was a piece of ****.
3 point in Boot? Wow, what service? Probably Army... they get all the new gear. Marines... we got a lot of your leftovers...

Hardwarz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts