AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started AR shopping yesterday at a local gun show, and there were so many my head was spinning. I live in NJ, so my selection is limited because of regulation. What are some reputable manufacturers. I hear mixed reviews of just about everyone. I want to keep the purchase under $1,500. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need to be careful at gun shows, I have seen some dealers buy piece parts and put one together and sell if for a name brand such as Colt.

That being said, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag, DPMS and Colt all make a good quality AR. I own both Colts and Bushmaster and find them both to be a very good quality weapon and have had no issues with either.

Whatever you are going to buy, do it soon before the next election as I see another AWB in our future. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really think it depends on what you are using it for. I have a Rock River Arms (RRA). Many people will tell you that RRA, Stag, Bushmaster will all be very good guns. But others will tell you that no matter what you need to have Colt or LMT, which cost alot more. If I had $1500 to spend, I would buy a cheaper one and buy as much ammo and decent optics I could for it. I have a RRA upper on a Spike's Tactical lower. The 2 together cost me about $750. I have since put a railed forearm on it ($150) and a couple of other accessories. Now here's the thing, I don't shoot 1,000 rounds a week or even a month through mine. Mine works great for what I use it for and it has fed every type of ammo I have put through it, even wolf which some won't use in their AR's. If you buy a Colt, it will cost you anywhere from $1100? to $1500. But on the upper end, you have just about blown your budget. It is by far cheaper to buy a lower and upper separate and then put them together which takes about 10 seconds. It is that easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had $1500 to spend, I would buy a cheaper one and buy as much ammo and decent optics I could for it.
Big + 1. I agree wholeheartedly.

It depends a lot on what you want it for. In all honesty, any name brand AR will likely outlast either of us with proper maintenance. Especially if you stick with one of the big names.

Olympic Arms, DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Colt, LMT, etc.

If you haven't checked out Olympic Arms, I highly recommend them, though a lot of folks will jump on the bandwagon and bash the brand to no end on internet forums, my 2 Oly's perform probably a little better than my Colt where accuracy is concerned and both have been just as dependable, but they don't offer a chrome lining option which for my needs, is unnecessary. I'm perfectly content cleaning my guns once in a while and I don't use corrosive ammo, so just because the Colt has a silver lining doesn't really make it better to me. ;) But Olympics lifetime warranty is a nice plus if I ever needed it.

What is important to me is reliability. Both Oly's have been 100% and to be fair, so has the Colt.

I also have a FrankenSBR made from a spike tactical lower and various upper parts that has been 100% also. The important thing is to get what suits you, learn to use it the right way, and it will take care of you.

DPMS, and Bushmaster, and Remington I have mixed feelings about right now because they're all owned by the same European company (cerberus). Myself, I prefer to buy American when I can, but that doesn't mean what they make (or have made) is bad stuff either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John A. I was actually looking at a nice Olympic k16, but in online research it seems like everyone and their brother BASHES the heck out of that manufacturer. I'm happy to know you have had nothing but great experiences with yours, and the lifetime warranty is a big +!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John A. I was actually looking at a nice Olympic k16, but in online research it seems like everyone and their brother BASHES the heck out of that manufacturer. I'm happy to know you have had nothing but great experiences with yours, and the lifetime warranty is a big +!
The Oly bashers are like everyone else "My brothers roommates uncles sons girlfriends fathers friend had one that was junk". I have an Oly that has worked fine for me, nothing fancy just a basic rifle, fixed stock, A1 upper, iron sights, although it did come with a SS barrel at no extra cost. It cost me $645 +tax so I had plenty left over for extra mags and ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whew! That is one beautiful gun, I am just wondering what comes along with that $1,300 price tag as compared to an entry Bush or Oly? I am a total noob to AR's and I am just trying to see what bells and whistles you get for what price point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think also of "building" one yourself if you can buy "kit guns" in NJ. I've got one I assembled with a Del-Ton upper on an Eagle Arms (Armalite) lower. It is really easy to assemble an AR with a few specialized tools to make it a bit easier. There is a tutorial on AR15.com (not sure you can access it without being a member) or you could get "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck. It's a good book with numerous tips to make the assembly easier.

Edit: Just checked, you can access the tutorial on AR15.com as a "guest" without joining.

I have a second "kit" from Del-Ton waiting to go on either one of my Spikes Tactical or an Anvil Arms lower. This one's for the "Little Dude" for his B'Day. He's being really good for a 10yr old and begging his Mom to let us build his AR together. I have a Ciener .22LR conversion to put in his until he gets used to shooting it. I think a conversion kit is a great investment(about $130). With ammo costs around $16/500rds for .22LR vs $16/50rds for .223, think of how much more you can shoot by using .22LR. I'll probably use it as much as he does.

My first AR and the 2 Bushmasters my brother owns have no problems digesting Wolf ammo (the newer polymer coated stuff, haven't tried the "Classic"). The only "problems" I have had were magazine related. I bought several Brownells mil-spec mags and all of them needed the feed lips adjusted, 60sec job. They are now 100% functional. I also bought a number of mags from 44mag.com and they have been 100% functional also.

By assembling my own weapon I know I appreciate it much more, know more about it, saved a fair amount of money and do feel a little bit of pride & self accomplishment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stick to the chart.

I recommend you stick with guns that have more X's that those that don't. Frankly I don't care if my posting of the chart pisses some people off it contains good information.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee let the fun begin, the Chart has arrived :)

Yeah I'm sure I'm one of the ones Pat was referring to not being happy with the chart. Ya know, it's limited but a good starting point. The AR market is soooooooo diverse in choice that constraining yourself to what's listed might not be the best way to shop for your weapon. BUT it is a good starting point and does offer you some information for what to ask the manufacturers or vendors you deal with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pat thanks for the chart. Even though I am new here I know what is to come next after the chart has been posted. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lucky7, don't by any means think that if you don't get one of the first 4 listed on the left then you won't get a really good AR. The chart is just a chart. There are those who live by it and those who don't. Get yourself a good rifle and shoot the hell out of it. There are those that would rather spend their whole budget on a Colt and then stare at it because they have no money left over for ammo while others will buy one with plenty of $$$ left over to shoot it. Go with what you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The chart doesn't piss me off. On the contrary, it makes me laugh. Hysterically and out loud. Every time I see it. It sure doesn't make it easy to take some of you seriously.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A chart is a chart is a chart... That's why I build my own. I can hand-pick each and every pin and spring that goes into my AR. The name on the side of the magwell means so little in the grand scheme of AR building. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts