1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me tell you what i know about uppers:
LMT, Colt, and Novosiek are the top notch rifles

bushmaster, stag, RRA, armalite are the mid-grade

the dpms, dti, cmmg, and the olympic arms are the low-end rifles

with that said, how much do uppers matter? I know it makes a difference but i've heard some say not really. I was really looking at a bushmaster, stag, rra, or a dpms. I wanted the dpms cause on del-ton.com you can customize everything from the twist rate, to the feedramps. I read the faq, so i'm pretty sure of what i want in the rifle now i need to know who has it for the cheapest price. i want it to be a SHTF gun also a paper-puncher. advice? also does any stipped lower match any upper?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The upper is the part that matters. The lowers don't mean squat, as long as they're mil-spec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not an expert on ARs by any stretch... I only own them because they are what I need to train and teach with. That said, I have a CMMG lightweight upper and it is great. Never had an issue. Not sure I'd agree that they are low end or that they are inferior to bushmaster or RRA. My AR ways 5.5 lbs ready to fight. To me that is what an AR should be, not some 9.5 railed, under powered gun masquerading as a main battle rifle.

Take a look at the CMMG offerings... they offer a lot of custom options as well.

D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me tell you what i know about uppers:
LMT, Colt, and Novosiek are the top notch rifles

bushmaster, stag, RRA, armalite are the mid-grade

the dpms, dti, cmmg, and the olympic arms are the low-end rifles
Are you asking about uppers, or rifles? And how do you figure that Bushmaster in mid-grade?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much do uppers matter? ...i'm pretty sure of what i want in the rifle now i need to know who has it for the cheapest price. i want it to be a SHTF gun also a paper-puncher. advice? also does any stipped lower match any upper?
The upper is the heart of it all. If you are truly wanting something that would be used for defense (SHTF) get a top notch one. Spend the money on at least the LMT, they are not that much more than say the Bushmaster or DPMS.

Are you asking about uppers, or rifles? And how do you figure that Bushmaster in mid-grade?
Well it doesn't equal up to Colt or LMT now does it ? ;)
It's better than a DPMS or Oly, wouldn't you say ?
There ya go, middle of the road.

Sounds like somebody's got a Bushmaster! :rolleyes:
Bushmaster makes a decent rifle, most of the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow and i thought Bushmaster and DPMS were made by the same company

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NO, they are not MADE by the same company. They just now happen to be both owned by Cerberus.
which means they are both made by the same company

one company owns them both so they are made by the same company.

do you honestly believe that they deal with different vendors for their parts and materials that is just ridiculous

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

do you honestly believe that they deal with different vendors for their parts and materials that is just ridiculous

:roll:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to start building my first rifle in the next couple weeks, how much does a LMT upper range. High quality to top notch? And where can you buy them, direct from LMT or is their a retailer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Your interpretation is a little off. One company MARKETS both of them. Just because Savage now owns Bowtech doesn't mean they aren't seperate entities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to start building my first rifle in the next couple weeks, how much does a LMT upper range. High quality to top notch? And where can you buy them, direct from LMT or is their a retailer?
Yes you can buy them direct from LMT or there are many retailers selling them. Advertized price for an upper with out handguards or BCG is $485.
A LMT regular M16 BCG will run you another $130, some retailers sell the upper with handguards.

Check the EE on ar15.com for places to buy....here are a few links

AR15.COM :: Forums :: LMT UPPERS IN STOCK, DD, LARUE, TROY RAILS, FREE INSTALL, FREE C/H, FREE SHIPPING

AR15.COM :: Forums :: LMT STRIPPED UPPERS - ALL LENGTHS IN STOCK - BARRELS AVAILABLE SEPARATELY

AR15.COM :: Forums :: LMT UPPERS 10.5" and 16"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What data are you using to come to this unfounded conclusion? Saw it hanging on the gun shop wall? Years of metallurgical training and experience? Being persent during the manufacturing of the different parts from teh different companies? Someone that sounded like they know what they are talking about said so?

I have seen many a great rifle made with small machine shop uppers that have almost no recognizable name, Oly parts, and DPMS guts. I have seen many a total crap rifle made with Colt uppers. I have exactly zero knowledge of LMT parts, so I'll pass on making any kind of opinion regarding them. Some folks love Oly complete rifles, some hate them, and the same could be said for BM, and other brands. Stag has had it's fair share of troubles, and they mostly stemmed from one well reported case of their product going KABOOM while a deputy was training with one of their guns. Anything bad that I have ever heard about BM has been taken care of by their CS department, and if they will back up their product with great CS after the sale, that means a lot to me.

So where is your data? If it's your opinion, say so.

The sum of the parts do matter, but I will say that the quality of the parts is around 55% of the problem, the assembly process is 35%, and maintenance/owner or operator knowledge of the weapon is as little as 10%. I base this break down on my own experience with the AR platform. YMMV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So it's your opinion.
it appears that he believes that because it cost more it has to be better. im surprised we haven't seen his precious and meaning list based on someone else's opinion opinion that once you look at it you will see that is in accurate.

i served and we had Colt M-16A2 and they jammed all the time. so which was great since we were more likely to be in a SHTF situation that most AR toting Civilians, which is exactly why we practiced malfunction drills so much that they became second nature.

Colt is a name nothing much more can be said about their products fails just the same as everyone elses

OH and comparing a company that markets both guns and bows is not the same as comparing a company that owns two different gun manufacturing plants, logically the are going to be using the same material and the same vendors for both plants it makes economical sense

GM owns Saturn, GMC, Chevy, Cadillac, Buick and many other manufacturing plants and they use the same parts for the same vendors on all of them, this is a little closer related than a company that makes Bows and Guns.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts