AR15 Forums banner

Soon to be an AR owner

2K views 17 replies 0 participants last post by  Badshot 
G
#1 ·
I have been lurking on the this site for months. I ordered a Rock River CAR A4 about 6 weeks ago and am hoping it will be here this week. It will be my first AR. This will just be for plinking on the range and potential self defense. I am planning on running it with iron sites for a few months, getting a feel for those sites and them upgrading with an EoTech - anyone have any suggestions.

G
#2 ·
Congratulations on the new AR. Beware of BRD (Black Rifle Disease) however. One AR is never enough. :D

I have the EOtech on my primary go to M4 along with a Surefire M500A weapon light. I have installed an ACOG on another one. The EOtech is a very good sight, perfect for CQB use.

I'd stock up on high capacity magazines while you still can and enjoy your new AR

G
#3 ·
Get mags like Verk said and ammo, then shoot and shoot some more until the disease has fully taken over :)

Sounds like you've got the right plan, learn to use the irons and then get optics. After you've shot it for a bit then start looking at what might make it more practical and or comfortable to use. But shoot as often as you can. The AR isn't a complex or even difficult platform to use, but like every weapon you own, you should be exceptionally familiar with it and it's good and bad sides.

Welcome to the family!

G
#6 ·
+100,000 ive been picking up 10 NIW C-Product mags a week for the last few weeks from a local surplus store selling them for $11.99 per mag. the way i see it is if them dang Dems get back in office and pass another BAN they will sky rocket in price. yet another reason why i am thinking about buying more of them $550 ARs

G
#7 ·
Everyone -

Thanks for the responses. I am definitely considering the ACOG, but for the price of those things - you can buy a whole new gun. I may go with the EoTech first. One thing that was consistently mentioned that I had not thought of was buying up some extra magazines. I think the gun comes with at least one and I told my dealer I wanted a couple extra to start with. So maybe I will get some more on top of that as well. I appreciate everyone's input - I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas morning waiting on the Rock River to get here.

G
#8 ·
Buy as many as you think you "need" and then double or triple that. ;)
Don't get caught with your pants down when they shove another ban on us.

Right now mags are cheap....during the last ban they were 3 to 4 times what they are now.

I'm sitting on some where around 65 at last count :D

G
#13 ·
+100,000 ive been picking up 10 NIW C-Product mags a week for the last few weeks from a local surplus store selling them for $11.99 per mag. the way i see it is if them dang Dems get back in office and pass another BAN they will sky rocket in price. yet another reason why i am thinking about buying more of them $550 ARs
well you hope the write in a grandfather clause if they do pass another ban.

G
#14 ·
I too have just joined the AR club with a Stag Arms 2TL. Can't wait to get to the range ! Have been buying Pmags.Any feedback on those ? I've been in shock at the ammo prices,last time I bought 223 it was $150 a case(brass).Any help on that would also be appreciated.

G
#15 ·
heck even if they dont you can never have to many guns, and ill be damed if i am going to just give up what i have without a fight.

"dang im sure sorry i sure wish i could remember what that nice gentleman's name was that i sold all my guns to"

G
#17 ·
Tomorrow is 8 weeks from the day I ordered the Rock River - the wait is killing me. I feel like a kid waiting on Christmas - but I don't know when Christmas will get here. I keep hoping to get the call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.