AR15 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I hear a lot of people recommend stocking up on lowers? Were the lowers banned in the previous AWB and they fear they will be again after the elections?

Also, if they were banned, what other parts of the AR were banned aside from hi-cap mags?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason to stock up on lowers is that once you have the lowers, you can literally order the rest of the parts over the internet, without going through an FFL dealer. That fact alone will make it pretty much impossible to outright do away with ARs, and will ensure that people with lowers will have plenty of options to build complete ARs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stocking up on lowers basically works like this:

You stock up on lowers. (I'm getting 2 more for a total of 3 lowers)

If a ban happens, it'll usually have a point where the serial numbers will define the start of the ban. Anything previous to that SHOULD be grandfathered in. Since the old serial number lower is grandfathered in, you can have anything that you want on your weapon as if it were today (4/11/08).

Since a lower is only $100-$200 each, for the cost of 2 fully functional ARs (Say $900 each x 2 =$1,800.00) you can get 12 AR lower (est $150.00 each) Once you have the lowers, you can build them at your leasure, when you have the time and the $$.

If a ban does not happen, you should at least break even on the cost of the lowers.

Problem is, there will be people looking to buy up lowers so that they can gouge others in the cost of the lowers if a ban does happen. I suggest that you buy what you need to build rifles that YOU want and add a couple more lowers for builds for your kids. If that means you buy 2 for you and 2 for your kids, that's fine. If that means 5 for you and 30 for your kids, that's fine too.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last ban those lowers had to be built into complete rifles and documented. ;) Once that was completed, then you could strip them back down if you wished. It will all depend on how anothe AWB would be written.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last ban those lowers had to be built into complete rifles and documented. ;) Once that was completed, then you could strip them back down if you wished. It will all depend on how anothe AWB would be written.

Stick a LPK into each one, slap the same upper on them, take pics with a newspaper with the date showing, mail them certified/first class to yourself and to a lawyer, and do not open them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1

All depends on how it is written. They could make you register the complete rifles and this would not be hard to do. All they have to do is make you come in so they could inspect the serial number, if they see you only bringing in lowers they could easily turn you away.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
+1

All depends on how it is written. They could make you register the complete rifles and this would not be hard to do. All they have to do is make you come in so they could inspect the serial number, if they see you only bringing in lowers they could easily turn you away.
Then all we have to do is show up every day with another "complete"weapon , All 12 of my lowers will for some reason resemble the first one i brought in . ;) Funny how that works out :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or you and all your buddies could take turns borrowing each others uppers and registering them. lol.

The only bad thing I can see happening is if something resembling HR1022 gets passed into law. That ban included ALL parts of any banned guns. Even if you had the entire gun, it would be yours until you died and then it would become the ATF's. No transfering whatsoever. The worst part, is if you broke any single part of your gun, you would not legally be able to buy a replacement part. No stocks, no bolts, no barrels, no firing pins, not even an extractor. You would simply be screwed because you bought 10 lowers instead of 2 lowers, 2 uppers, 2 barrels and a few dozen small parts kits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or you and all your buddies could take turns borrowing each others uppers and registering them. lol.

The only bad thing I can see happening is if something resembling HR1022 gets passed into law. That ban included ALL parts of any banned guns. Even if you had the entire gun, it would be yours until you died and then it would become the ATF's. No transfering whatsoever. The worst part, is if you broke any single part of your gun, you would not legally be able to buy a replacement part. No stocks, no bolts, no barrels, no firing pins, not even an extractor. You would simply be screwed because you bought 10 lowers instead of 2 lowers, 2 uppers, 2 barrels and a few dozen small parts kits.
great, now i have to stock up on LPK too.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mvician pretty much nailed that one.

The lowers had to be built up already technically. If the gun was assembled after the ban was enacted (whether the lower was built prior to that or not) made no difference. The gun had to be assembled according the the laws at the time it was assembled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts