AR15 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been "lurking" and learning around here for a while. Thanks to all for the great info and education you have provided so far. Excellent

I have a new Sig 716 with a 16" barrel (very nice rifle so far) and need help selecting an optic for it. I envision this in a MBR/DMR role; i.e., acquire near range (0-200 yrds) targets rather rapidly and still take advantage of some of the range of this .308. (Also, I have a 5.56 with an Eotech that I can use for the closer target sets as well).

I'm know this type of question is asked often so I hope to give you enough info to tailor it to my specific situation. Here are some thoughts...
Intended use: Range/target shooting (couple times a month), not currently a hunter but may try it on hogs in the future, possible 3 gun shoots, defense, and other EOTWAWKI scenarios
Budget: Sub-1K (preferably in the $700-$800 range)
Range: Current target range I shoot at is limited to 300 yrds. I live in FL so I suspect the longest distances would be mid-range (500-600 yrds. max.)
Desired Features (in priority): illuminated reticle, FFP, matching knob and reticle (prefer MOA...the math seems easier to me since i tend to think in inches), uncapped turrets
Magnification: Prefer a variable...1-X or variable up to about 12x
ACOG is out due to $$$ and I would really like more magnification. (I have older eyes so more is sometimes better) I have thought about mounting a second optic; i.e., a canted red dot for close in targets.
Some of the optics on my short list -
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP -new and limited feedback so far
SS HD 1-6x24 - may not be enough mag. for targets and no telling when these will actually ship.
SS HD 1-4x24 FFP - may not be enough mag. for targets
Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (green dot)
What did I miss ? Recommendations/thoughts? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been "lurking" and learning around here for a while. Thanks to all for the great info and education you have provided so far. Excellent

I have a new Sig 716 with a 16" barrel (very nice rifle so far) and need help selecting an optic for it. I envision this in a MBR/DMR role; i.e., acquire near range (0-200 yrds) targets rather rapidly and still take advantage of some of the range of this .308. (Also, I have a 5.56 with an Eotech that I can use for the closer target sets as well).

I'm know this type of question is asked often so I hope to give you enough info to tailor it to my specific situation. Here are some thoughts...
Intended use: Range/target shooting (couple times a month), not currently a hunter but may try it on hogs in the future, possible 3 gun shoots, defense, and other EOTWAWKI scenarios
Budget: Sub-1K (preferably in the $700-$800 range)
Range: Current target range I shoot at is limited to 300 yrds. I live in FL so I suspect the longest distances would be mid-range (500-600 yrds. max.)
Desired Features (in priority): illuminated reticle, FFP, matching knob and reticle (prefer MOA...the math seems easier to me since i tend to think in inches), uncapped turrets
Magnification: Prefer a variable...1-X or variable up to about 12x
ACOG is out due to $$$ and I would really like more magnification. (I have older eyes so more is sometimes better) I have thought about mounting a second optic; i.e., a canted red dot for close in targets.
Some of the optics on my short list -
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP -new and limited feedback so far
SS HD 1-6x24 - may not be enough mag. for targets and no telling when these will actually ship.
SS HD 1-4x24 FFP - may not be enough mag. for targets
Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (green dot)
What did I miss ? Recommendations/thoughts? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help!
A10

·
Registered
10 Posts
A10 ,, 300 yards,, well sounds like my rifle range.. what I did is I bought the Nikon 4x12 308 bullet drop compensator scope. I think Midways got it,, It cost me,, I think $250 or $300. Buy a good mount or rings,, 308 moves sh-t around a little. Anyway plinking 308’s at 300 is a easy dream,, sighted in it stays consistent. I relief is important so for me,, 3”. Nobody want a black eye less your in a bar fight. Nikon makes ok to pretty good scopes. Lot a guy buy that $1000 glass.. i figger,, buy another rifle for a thousand.. right,, how that helps you. 🇺🇸🌵
Hope that helps you,, I can’t type feel sh-t…😆

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II is a good tactical scope for AR10.
It's a ruggedly built 2 – 10 x 32mm rifle scope featuring single-piece tube and 3.2-inch eye relief.
Here you'll find details review for this scope.
I'm extremely impressed with this scope and will go ever several reasons why you should or shouldn't purchase it along with features, functionality, fit/finish, and application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II is a good tactical scope for AR10.
It's a ruggedly built 2 – 10 x 32mm rifle scope featuring single-piece tube and 3.2-inch eye relief.
Here you'll find details review for this scope.
I'm extremely impressed with this scope and will go ever several reasons why you should or shouldn't purchase it along with features, functionality, fit/finish, and application.
i have one but in 5-25x50, why are you looking at such a low power scope for a 900 yard gun? At any rate i love mine, and with a lifetime warranty you cant beat it. I bought mine open box, dropped in on concrete and broke the turrets, and they fixed it no chargein 2 days and overnighted it back to me. You can’t go
Wrong with them although id go bigger than what you’re considering

1 - 6 of 6 Posts