AR15 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been "lurking" and learning around here for a while. Thanks to all for the great info and education you have provided so far. Excellent

I have a new Sig 716 with a 16" barrel (very nice rifle so far) and need help selecting an optic for it. I envision this in a MBR/DMR role; i.e., acquire near range (0-200 yrds) targets rather rapidly and still take advantage of some of the range of this .308. (Also, I have a 5.56 with an Eotech that I can use for the closer target sets as well).

I'm know this type of question is asked often so I hope to give you enough info to tailor it to my specific situation. Here are some thoughts...
Intended use: Range/target shooting (couple times a month), not currently a hunter but may try it on hogs in the future, possible 3 gun shoots, defense, and other EOTWAWKI scenarios
Budget: Sub-1K (preferably in the $700-$800 range)
Range: Current target range I shoot at is limited to 300 yrds. I live in FL so I suspect the longest distances would be mid-range (500-600 yrds. max.)
Desired Features (in priority): illuminated reticle, FFP, matching knob and reticle (prefer MOA...the math seems easier to me since i tend to think in inches), uncapped turrets
Magnification: Prefer a variable...1-X or variable up to about 12x
ACOG is out due to $$$ and I would really like more magnification. (I have older eyes so more is sometimes better) I have thought about mounting a second optic; i.e., a canted red dot for close in targets.
Some of the optics on my short list -
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP -new and limited feedback so far
SS HD 1-6x24 - may not be enough mag. for targets and no telling when these will actually ship.
SS HD 1-4x24 FFP - may not be enough mag. for targets
Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (green dot)
What did I miss ? Recommendations/thoughts? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been "lurking" and learning around here for a while. Thanks to all for the great info and education you have provided so far. Excellent

I have a new Sig 716 with a 16" barrel (very nice rifle so far) and need help selecting an optic for it. I envision this in a MBR/DMR role; i.e., acquire near range (0-200 yrds) targets rather rapidly and still take advantage of some of the range of this .308. (Also, I have a 5.56 with an Eotech that I can use for the closer target sets as well).

I'm know this type of question is asked often so I hope to give you enough info to tailor it to my specific situation. Here are some thoughts...
Intended use: Range/target shooting (couple times a month), not currently a hunter but may try it on hogs in the future, possible 3 gun shoots, defense, and other EOTWAWKI scenarios
Budget: Sub-1K (preferably in the $700-$800 range)
Range: Current target range I shoot at is limited to 300 yrds. I live in FL so I suspect the longest distances would be mid-range (500-600 yrds. max.)
Desired Features (in priority): illuminated reticle, FFP, matching knob and reticle (prefer MOA...the math seems easier to me since i tend to think in inches), uncapped turrets
Magnification: Prefer a variable...1-X or variable up to about 12x
ACOG is out due to $$$ and I would really like more magnification. (I have older eyes so more is sometimes better) I have thought about mounting a second optic; i.e., a canted red dot for close in targets.
Some of the optics on my short list -
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP -new and limited feedback so far
SS HD 1-6x24 - may not be enough mag. for targets and no telling when these will actually ship.
SS HD 1-4x24 FFP - may not be enough mag. for targets
Leupold 2.5-8x36 Mark 4 MR/T
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 (green dot)
What did I miss ? Recommendations/thoughts? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help!
A10

·
Registered
10 Posts
A10 ,, 300 yards,, well sounds like my rifle range.. what I did is I bought the Nikon 4x12 308 bullet drop compensator scope. I think Midways got it,, It cost me,, I think $250 or $300. Buy a good mount or rings,, 308 moves sh-t around a little. Anyway plinking 308’s at 300 is a easy dream,, sighted in it stays consistent. I relief is important so for me,, 3”. Nobody want a black eye less your in a bar fight. Nikon makes ok to pretty good scopes. Lot a guy buy that $1000 glass.. i figger,, buy another rifle for a thousand.. right,, how that helps you. 🇺🇸🌵
Hope that helps you,, I can’t type feel sh-t…😆

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're right...not for shit. For a moment I thought I was reading a post from a Pakistani, but then realized that they are pretty darned good with English.

Just jerking your chain. Best, David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts