AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
That link sends me to a yahoo mail page. Here's The Ogre's article:
http://madogre.com/Interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

I think he does raise some valid points concerning the AR rifle and it's design. But, I'm not running to the gun store to try and trade mine off for something else. The AR works fine for what I do.

As an aside: I really like reading MadOgre's blog . . . he's one of 3-4 blogs that I check everyday.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
good catch cougar i dont know how i managed to do that :confused:

i corrected it though thankyou. seems to work no that i edited it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Stop and think for a sec how popular the AR is. Hell we even threw a fit to get a AR room here on the forum. The AR isn't perfect, but not at all the POS he makes it out to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
nikon,
+1

i'm not a fan of the DI system AT ALL! it - by design - is the only flaw i can think of.

once they made the Gas Piston versions i was on them like white on rice on a paper plate in snowstorm.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Is the AR-15 design reliable enough for varmint hunting? Yes. Do I like the fact that I have to depend upon it for my life in combat? Absolutely not. There are better systems out there and the only reason we don't adopt them is that the Stoner design is American. I, for one, love the Sig556. AR accuracy with AK reliability. The best of both worlds.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Is the AR-15 design reliable enough for varmint hunting? Yes. Do I like the fact that I have to depend upon it for my life in combat? Absolutely not. There are better systems out there and the only reason we don't adopt them is that the Stoner design is American. I, for one, love the Sig556. AR accuracy with AK reliability. The best of both worlds.
That and they are too cheap to change weapon systems as they have so much vested in the m16 platform.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
i agree to a little bit of what hes talking about..
but also it would cost the army alot of money to switch to something else that could be better..
i just think that the army should make a gas piston and but it in the current ARs that are in the army.. small little fix to help out that weapon.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
i agree to a little bit of what hes talking about..
but also it would cost the army alot of money to switch to something else that could be better..
i just think that the army should make a gas piston and but it in the current ARs that are in the army.. small little fix to help out that weapon.
i value your opinion as a actual life or death user of the AR armyguy. My question about the ar15/ar10 (i was looking more along the lines of ar10 for myself) was related to MY USE as a SHTF weapon, not pro or con as weapon of choice for the military thats a whole other arguement.

Though in my readings the last 2 months pondering different set ups i might want various folks have said the gubment was looking at different options one from HK and they lost interest and the program is no more.

What would you pick army guy, and feel free to answer in the context of the decision makers at the army and senate as what to buy, though that is not my concern for this thread (dont get me wrong i want the troops to have the best performing tools we can afford) lets take politics out of this (admitting that the ar may or may not be the best choice anymore/ever).

Focus just purely personal likes and dislikes, pros and cons ...... is the AR platform your weapn of choice, or is it simply "OK" and a good value but not a world beater everone seems to make it out to be.

I have been looking at some sig 556 and cant really find anything bad about it

$1400 to my door from buds.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_397/products_id/50925

alsothe magpul masada looks to be a pretty sweet gun and its $1400 ish due out this summer.

If i could get a 556 or magpul in .308 THAT would be the deal maker for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I know squat about the pistol uppers for AR's, but from what I've read they are a must for the Military. Also the mags the military uses has got to go, they need to make beer cans out of them.

If I ever have to go to the sandbox again I WILL be taking my HK mags with me.

If the AR was more reliable under dirty conditions and the mags were changed I would put it up against any Rifle in the world as top dog for battle.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
What I don't understand is why they make the direct impingement gas system disconnect the bolt carrier from the gas tube inside the receiver. I can think of two or three ways that you could use the existing bolt carrier and bolt but modify the gas tube and gas key so that they never disconnect or at least disconnect outside the receiver. I really like my RRA AR-15 but I have to agree with his main flaw (the gas system) that the gun does make a mess of itself.

I would be more inclined to agree with him more if he wasn't so belligerent in the way he writes the article. He could have said everything he did without the angst and childish language and that alone would strengthen his argument. He has some valid criticisms (and some flawed) but I find because of his attitude on the subject I am left looking for more ways to to disagree with him rather than support him, not because he is wrong but because of his presentation.

mcb

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I've trusted my life to an M16. I'm fine with the M16/AR platform, but I'm never ready to say, I hate it or that I'll never count on it. I'm always open to new ideas.

I'm not too crazy about DI, but the AK on the other hand has a bunch of problems that the AR Does not. It's a trade off, tight components = better accuracy = more jamming. Loose components = less jamming = less accuracy

For me, it's whatever is best for the troops. If a new weapon system is out there and is better than the M16, even by only 5%, it's worth looking into. Why? Because if it saves one more life, then it's worth it.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I would have to partially agree with him to an extent. I also believe that he is most certainly entitled to his opinion. I am entitled to mine and my experiences as well.

I have the AR-15, and AR-10, and an FAL. Mine are not safe queens, but get drug around, dirty and such. Not a problem yet, but I do admit that the FAL is easier to clean.

FWIW, I have found that most military people do not put enough lube on a weapon, especially an AR. A buddy bought an AR, and then had the jamming issue (former Army). I checked it and it was wayyyy too dry. Lubed it up properly and it ran fine after that. Oh, and a Garand is sensitive to the powder used in it. Use the wrong one and you will bend an op rod.

Is there newer stuff out that that may be better? Why certainly there is.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
My only real complaint with the AR design is the DI system, probably a couple others small things but the DI is the biggest.

With the sheer number of AR/M16 rifles out there the cost to exchange them all out would be a huge expense for taxpayers. It could be done, but their is at least one option to upgrade the AR family to a gas system at a much lower cost to taxpayers. And still be able to take advantage of all the available AR type accessories.

Since I own AR's with the DI system, I'm kicking around the idea of changing my Stag to a gas operated system with a retrofit kit from Ares Defense. About $400, but I'm still not sure I'll go this route, so haven't shopped for best pricing.

The next AR I buy will probably be a gas system, probably the Masada.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
While the author of the rant makes some valid points, they are old arguments about known problems, and it was pretty much just a rant. His "opinions" about the ammunition it's terminal effects are mostly wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I would have to partially agree with him to an extent. I also believe that he is most certainly entitled to his opinion. I am entitled to mine and my experiences as well.

I have the AR-15, and AR-10, and an FAL. Mine are not safe queens, but get drug around, dirty and such. Not a problem yet, but I do admit that the FAL is easier to clean.

FWIW, I have found that most military people do not put enough lube on a weapon, especially an AR. A buddy bought an AR, and then had the jamming issue (former Army). I checked it and it was wayyyy too dry. Lubed it up properly and it ran fine after that. Oh, and a Garand is sensitive to the powder used in it. Use the wrong one and you will bend an op rod.

Is there newer stuff out that that may be better? Why certainly there is.
yeah the FN FAL has my attention, i really like them. I am a big fan of the .308. Which do you like more your AR or the FAL ?

I have never cleaned an AR he made it sound like an epic struggle to clean an AR compared to say my SKS. Not a big fan of lil springs popping out and getting lost, especially in a SHTF scenario.

Since your a FN FAL owner if you HAD to have just one, which one would it be, the ar or the fal ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts