AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at optics for the past week or so. There are so many options out there so I've narrowed them down to three categories to help me keep them straight.

Scopes
These are generally intended for long distance shooting. Not my thing since you have to close one eye and really focus through the scope. Besides, I'm not a hunter nor a sniper.

Open Lens
Made for fast target acquisition but I'm afraid I'll break it when my AR slips while leaning vertical against a table.

Protected lens
Same as open lens but has better protection.

Tubes
Same as the open lens ones but built into a tube for protection. I've seen some from 30mm to 50mm.

So far I'm leaning towards these tube or protected lens ones. I want to be able to keep both eyes open when using the red dot thing to aim. My IDPA club has been running carbine matches and that is the main reason I built my AR. I need fast target acquisition since I will be moving then shooting then moving and shooting in different shooting positions while on the clock. I'm thinking the 50 mm tube types ones would be great. I will have a large area to look through and I'll be able to keep both eyes open. Am I on track here or am I way off base?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have an eotech on my AR, and had one on my M4...they've bother been put through hell and still functioned flawlessly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea. My AR will never see sand, snow, rain or any SHTF situation. It will go from the comfort of my house to the range in a protective carrier. I do not need ultra high battlefield proven reliability. Just something that will do fine with a range gun. I really don't want to get into a debate about the high end vs low end optics. I just want to get some insight on the different types of optics and if my initial thoughts make sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a TruGlo 40mm on my home defense 870 shotgun. It's PLENTY large enough for both eyes open and fast target acquisition. I don't think you'll need 50mm (would look funny if you care about that thing).

Personaly I'm going with an Aimpoint 30mm on my AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have an eotech on my AR, and had one on my M4...they've bother been put through hell and still functioned flawlessly.
+1

The EOTech would fit between your categories of "open lens" and "tube". It ain't no fragile red dot!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a TruGlo 40mm on my home defense 870 shotgun. It's PLENTY large enough for both eyes open and fast target acquisition. I don't think you'll need 50mm (would look funny if you care about that thing).

Personaly I'm going with an Aimpoint 30mm on my AR.
I saw the 40mm TruGlo at Cabela's for $65. I'll pencil that in as a candidate. Thanks.

+1

The EOTech would fit between your categories of "open lens" and "tube". It ain't no fragile red dot!
I like the EOTechs and they seem to be a popular choice. The $350+ price is holding me back though. I'll keep an eye out for a used one.

I guess I should add a category, huh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew I wanted an Eotech or Aimpoint (really wanted the Aimpoint). I tried both out on test rifles at my gun store and found the ergonomics of the Eotech to fit me much better. I'd try to check them out in person if you can to see which is right for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never had the chance to look through an EOtech or Aimpoint prior to purchasing. I read as much as I could about both. I really wanted an Aimpoint; I just love the looks of them. I almost bought an EOtech when I found one for a really good deal, but the battery life was always stuck in my mind. So, I bought an Aimpoint ML2 and I LOVE it. I shot my first Rifle class with it on Sunday, and it worked great. The other day I got to have my first look through an EOtech on my buddy's AR and man, it was nice.

If I had it to do all over again, I think I may have gone with the EO now, because I think that 60 MOA circle would help big time for picking the target up quickly, and the 1 MOA dot would be nice at farther distances. My 4 MOA Aimpoint makes it a little tough at 100 yds, but I rarely shoot to that distance.

Who knows, maybe I'll start another EBR build and throw an EO on it! Yeah, wishful thinking. :cry:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never had the chance to look through an EOtech or Aimpoint prior to purchasing. I read as much as I could about both. I really wanted an Aimpoint; I just love the looks of them. I almost bought an EOtech when I found one for a really good deal, but the battery life was always stuck in my mind. So, I bought an Aimpoint ML2 and I LOVE it. I shot my first Rifle class with it on Sunday, and it worked great. The other day I got to have my first look through an EOtech on my buddy's AR and man, it was nice.

If I had it to do all over again, I think I may have gone with the EO now, because I think that 60 MOA circle would help big time for picking the target up quickly, and the 1 MOA dot would be nice at farther distances. My 4 MOA Aimpoint makes it a little tough at 100 yds, but I rarely shoot to that distance.

Who knows, maybe I'll start another EBR build and throw an EO on it! Yeah, wishful thinking. :cry:
You can give me the aimpoint and then get yourself the eotech. I'll take care of it for you.;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if you are on a budget and want a metal housing red dot, you should really look into the RDP II ($139), someone on here turned me onto those sights. i got it in the mail yesterday and I'm going to try it out this weekend. i'll let you know how that goes. only difference though with what you want and what i'm doing is, this red dot is going to be mounted on my ACOG. so it will definitely sit higher than mounting it directly to your rail/flat top.

go to the equipment exchange on that dedicated AR sight and you'll find them there under the optics thread.

i believe if you want more protection for them, you can buy the larue wing mounts, but then you're starting to get into the 250 range for the sight and the mount. might as well buy a used Aimpoint or EOtech.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having used both the Aimpoint and the EoTech I can say for certain that either choice will be a good one. The expense of either is the only drawback that I can see. Currently, I use the EoTech and I find it very easy to acquire targets, keep both eyes open, and shoot reasonably accurately out to about 100 yards. I can hit man sized targets at 200 yards but I wouldn't call the shots groups by any stretch! Up close and personal .. say 25 yards and less the EoTech is just a great optic.

I might throw out some inexpensive but apparently decent optics for consideration ...

The Tasco Propoint is a Aimpoint clone and the Bushnell Trophy appears to be a ACOG clone but also seems to enjoy a decent reputation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMO both Eotech and aimpoint really falls in to the same group of optics - CQB. Aimpoint is more rugged while the eotech is a bit more versatile with it's 1MOA dot and larger circle. The aimpoint need a honey comb hider to avoid the dot being seen by the enemy (which really darken the sight down significantly) while Eotech can only be see by the shooter. Aimpoint also need a ring while eotech don't, but you can get the aimpoint really low to the bore for cowitness. When it comes to battery life aimpoint beats eotech hands down. In the end if you have a AR Eotech is the way to go but if you want to move the optic around, Aimpoint will give you a bit more options.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started out today to buy an eotech 512 ,took my ar with me and mounted it .Very nice then tryed a millett DSM-1 being able to go from 1to 4 power is great!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As everyone is saying, this is a personal preference. I don't think many will argue that the EOTech is faster for acquiring your target. Just more viewable area on the optic itself. Yeah the price is a bear when you first start looking at them, but there is versatility to be had. A EOT 512 should run between $250 and $350. Add a LaRue Po'Boy (another $200 shipped w. LaRue Schwag included for free) and you've got the ability to crank on another 2.5x to the optic and 300-400m shots are very very viable. I'd still recommend the Po'Boy for the AP's.. about the same price range, but more likely both will run about $300 used.

The Millett DMS-1 is nice as well for an entry level 1-4 short dot optic. But you seriously lose Field of View. Given that your plinking more than anything, I'd say you can go for the Bushnell version of the EOT without issue.

Mounts... well both the AP and the DMS-1 will require a mount of some sort. The eye relief on the Millett is something like 3.5 inches, so you'll want it pretty far forward. Meaning now you're looking at at least $65 for a one piece canteleaver mount. About the same for the AP. The mount that comes with them typically sucks and the canteleaver mount for those run between $50 for a cheap one up to $200 for high speed low drag. The EOTech fits the rail on a flat top just fine and has a good height. Risers from companies like YHM start at about $25 and you can go upwards of $150 for something from LaRue or similar manufacturers.

Battery life.. yeah the newer AP's can run upto 50,000 hours, in your price range you should expect about 10,000-15,000 running hours for a ML2.. but the EOT has an auto shut off ( 4 or 8 hours depending on how you turned it on) and with Lithium AA's you can pull many usable hours out of one, the batteries are more commonly available, ect... So for me it's a wash. I've had EOTechs for a bit more than a year now and haven't changed batteries other than to put Lithium AA's in them.

Now I will admit, I'm an EOTech junkie. I have 4 and 3 of those have Po'Boys behind them. The Flip to Side mount makes that setup as versatile as they come.

Choose your price range and start looking around... I learned a long time ago that as a rule, the sub-$200 optics are something you'll just end up replacing sooner rather than later, but hey it is your money.. get what you want and learn on your own :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My opinion on battery life is that if you rely on your optic to defend your life, just change the stupid AA's on a pre-determined basis. They are not that expensive. Double that usual time if you use Li-AA's.

However, like you said you are just plinking. Keep some spare batteries in your grip, VFG, buttstock, case, or where ever else you want. Then if it dies, so what? Put more batteries in!

Also, I should read my manual again (I've never had to change the batteries yet), but doesn't the eotech blink or something when the battery life is low??? It's not like it just dies hard.

Everyone discusses the battery life as being a "feature" of the aimpoint, but I see it actually as a downside. You are lest apt to change the batteries at regularly-scheduled intervals.

I don't know, I just really wouldn't worry about the battery-life of a plinking gun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the chance to shoot an Eotech and an Open Lens model and to tell you the truth I liked the Open Lens much much better. There was a much better field of view and like you I won't be taking mine into harsh conditions or combat. Problem is I can't remember what brand it was that I shot?? I've seen anywhere from $65 to $500 open lens models. Anyone have a decent suggestion? Maybe this will add to the original poster's decision and help me out to. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts