To grease, or not to grease... | Page 2 | AR15 Forums

To grease, or not to grease...

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by newxder50, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Aeroshell 33ms, Geissele Reaction Rod, Barrel Nut Wrench and a good vice. Insert barrel extension into upper, slide entire unit over reaction rod and ensure its seated into the star chamber. Apply thin layer of aeroshell onto threads, hand tighten barrel nut. With torque wrench set to 35 ft/lb, tighten to spec. Loosen and tighten barrel nut three separate times to 35 ft/lb. Now, set torque wrench to 80 ft/lb and index barrel nut to allow for gas tube installation do not go over 80 ft/lb. If no index is needed, final torque to 40 ft/lb and call it a day.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

2. HB of CJ

HB of CJ Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not quite understand. Does setting the torque wrench to 80 pounds suggest that the barrel might, (repeat, might) be subjected to torque values much greater than about 40 to 42 pounds?

Also are you using a upper receiver glove and torquing up the receiver in the vise and letting the barrel float?

Also you are not shaving or dressing the front end of the upper receiver any to slightly adjust the barrel nut indexing?

Finally, are you using any kind of lube at all on the threads? These are the things I need to have clear in my mind. Thus the video request if possible. Thank you.

HB of CJ (old coot)

3. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Setting the torque wrench to 80 ft/lb ensures you don't exceed the maximum allowable 80 ft/lbs of torque as per US Army Manual (TM9-1005-319-23).

The Geissele Reaction Rod secures the barrel via star chamber and allows the upper to float.

No modification to the upper receiver is needed.

Yes. Aeroshell 33ms.

4. le_butters

le_butters Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yocan...O yocan.... where art thou yocan?

sent by the german shepherd next to me

5. newxder50

newxder50 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Yup, this is what I ended up doing...although I had to torque a smidge over eighty to get the gas tube to line up...I had no interest in sanding off, or reducing any portion of my upper, to get the hole to line up at more like 40-50 ft lbs (see CJ-aka old coot)...in the end an AR armorer said that most guys just use the wrench after torqueing it to 35 or 40 ft lbs, until they line up the hole anyway, and likely torque higher than eighty frequently in doing so.

6. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that, I wouldn't recommend. Max is 80 for a reason. Also, if your torque wrench was in line with the barrel nut wrench then you're closer to 90.

Should have backed it off and stretched the threads a few more times until you could get it timed without exceeding 80.
    Furthermore, there's nothing wrong with the way that CJ outlined I just prefer to not go through the extra steps for what I see as overkill.

7. newxder50

newxder50 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I ended up backing off and re-torquing to 35 six times, still did not line up.

8. newxder50

newxder50 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have fired it multiple times now and no issues at all...believe me, I was very concerned about it until I was able to talk to my local AR armorer. He wasn't concerned.

9. HB of CJ

HB of CJ Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The potential 80 foot pounds applied to the barrel nut is a concern. With all respect, Army teck manuals may be wrong. Personal experience with this long ago and far away rebuilding M16 rifles. Published mistakes sometimes occur. Yep.

Could the manual have meant 40-42 pounds instead of 80 pounds? Also, I respectfully would like to be directed to that particular manual. It might be the one I have already alluded too. An AR15 Armorer should know better than 80 ft.lbs.

I do not know how far to push this. Shaving or dressing the front of the upper and keeping the total torque values to around 40-42 pounds is the correct way to install that pesky barrel. No lube. It is a design flaw. The notches are just too small.

Yes, that barrel will have to come off and on several times. Get used to it. If the upper receiver threads were steel, then perhaps this would work. But, the upper receiver threads are aluminum. Thus the rub. Aluminum does not stretch well at all.

You decide how to build your own AR15 rifle. Nearly all the time you will get away with it. But will your build last 50,000 rounds? Dunno. Will your build withstand 10 maximum speed stick dumps repelling the Zombie Hoards? Dunno that either.

Will have you stretched your upper barrel threads? Will you crack that barrel extension or barrel nut...and not know it? A hint...head space checking is a good idea. You see, everything is related and sometimes creates a domino effect.

HB of CJ (old coot) Now just old :) :)

Coming soon? What do you do it your build has OEM front and rear sights and the rear sights are cranked all the way to one side or the other and your gun is still off the bulls eye left to right? Sometimes there is corrective action....sometimes not. Stay tuned to this Excellent Forum. Are we having fun yet? :) :)

"If your barrel front sight post is within specs...how do you index that pesky barrel so the rear sights are within 4 clicks of being dead dead center...and the build shoots exactly down the pipe right to left?" Hee hee hee....I love a good plan. :) :)

10. Ske1etor

Ske1etor Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there potential that you're incorrect, doing extra work and being extremely anal for no actual return or purpose? Yes.

Is there potential that you're building off of long outdated "specs" based on inferior materials that were available when you were building them? Yes.

You build how you want to, I'll follow the US Army Armorers Manual for the M4 (and every Upper Receiver and Barrel Manufacturer).

11. 12over7

12over7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One purpose of grease is to prevent galvanic corrosion (aka dissimilar metal corrosion) due to a steel barrel and aluminum receiver. Standard practice in a military systems where dissimilar metals are bolted together.