AR15 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have decided to build my own AR-15 instead of buying a complete package. Price wise it makes sense! I was just wondering what tools would I need to have on hand when i start doing my build?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upper tools
vice, vice blocks for the upper reciever (if exchanging/installing handguard styles or barrels), an AR multitool.

Lower Tools
set of punches and small hammer

absolute bare minimums.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't forget the plastic bag to help protect from flying springs and the search required after departure from the assigned location.

Really the list above about covers it, also run a search here for AR builds and other similar threads, dozens already with links to great info.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep John A is right. those tools are the absolute bare minimums. PLUS YOU WILL ALOT OF CALMNESS AND NERVE PILLS IF THIS YOUR FIRST BUILD. it can be frustrateing i just buildlt my 1st one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only thing I would add for the lower is a set of Vice grips and padded jaws for the vice grips. I used them to squeeze the roll pins in place for the bolt release and trigger guard roll pin. It was easier than initially trying to drive them in place with a hammer or hammer & punch.

Oh, and a long allen wrench for the screw that hold the pistol grip in.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome! it seems i have everything minus the vice blocks for the handguard/barrel change... now it's time for me to do a search for that vice block!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts