AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as an update i ordered my lower cheap as possible from essential arms for 100 bucks. I'm very excited, i know which upper and LPK i want as soon as i save enough for it then i thought: damn i'll actually have to put things together. it wont be just snap in the top half and bottom half. so what tools would i need to assemble a stripped lower?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you need a small hammer, some brass and steel punches and some masking tape.

its a 15 minute affair. dont sweat it. you can get the punches and hammer at harbor freight for 5 bucks.

pay special attention to the bolt catch spring and the disconnector spring. they look similar but are different.

also pay close attention to the takedown pin springs, and the selector spring. again, similar but different.

follow the guide on ar15.com.
AR15.COM :: Guides

there are also other picture tutorials with tips and tricks available there if you search around. such as this one:
AR15.COM :: Forums :: Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YOU WILL NEED A 1 GALLON ZIPLOCK BAG!! TRUST ME!! Haha, I launched a few pins and springs across the room. Get a bag to work inside! :p

BTW, a pair of hemostats came in handy when working with those tiny pins. Also, I used a butter knife for one step when putting a spring/pin in...might have been the pin in the stock for the buffer tube/spring. Worked good to hold the pin down while screwing the stock in over top of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you have your lower all put together....

Email Bill Springfield [email protected]

He does awsome trigger work, and is very inexpensive, around $40 or so. Will make your trigger nice and crisp with a light pull of about 4.5 lb, for an extra $15 or so you can get it with a 3.5 lb pull. His trigger jobs are probably just as good as those $300 trigger jobs.

Bill also does a lot more than AR's, he did wonders to my XCR trigger and if you read about his work in other forums he also get's high marks for FALs, M14's, and PTR's.

Hell just do a google search on "Bill Springfield Trigger" and you will see all the glowing reviews he gets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a great video. Just watched and wish I'd have known about it before I put my lower together! There are some steps where he used a simple technique to do something, and it took me a long time, lol...like the front pivot pin detent! D'oh! :)
do yourself a favor, if you assemble a lot of lowers, make yourself a front pin detent tool.

Get a brass punch the same diameter as the take down pins.
Drill a small hole in the side of the punch the same size as the detent pin.

put the punch in the front take down hole, left to right. line up the hole you drilled with the spring/detent hole. drop the spring and detent down the hole, and press them down with a small punch....then rotate your brass punch so that the spring and detent are locked in place.

now carefully press out the punch (right to left) with your take down pin.

bingo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I built my lower with a roll of blue tape, a pin punch set and a brass hammer. I think that's it. Oh, and i used a pivot pin detent installation tool a.k.a. a rod with a hole in it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
anyone have a suggestion how to tighten the castle nut without having to buy a castle nut tool. I'd literally use the tool for 5 seconds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone have a suggestion how to tighten the castle nut without having to buy a castle nut tool. I'd literally use the tool for 5 seconds.
borrow a castle nut tool, or borrow a strap wrench.

but in all, seriousness, use the right tool for the right job.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Strap wrench you can buy locally for like $5, but like ARin said use the right tool for the right job. If you plan to build anymore, I'd buy the right tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts