AR15 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a barrel (that my dad got(he is passed)) it is 22 caliber. I want to chamber it in something .224 Valkyrie. I am looking for ideas. I am not sure what case length i can use on a standard ar upper. My son asked about 225 win but idk if they make a bolt that will fit that in the ar family. I am also not sure large of a diameter i can go on a standard ar 22 cal barrel. This barrel is from the 80's just incase someone thinks this is important.

Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts
I assume you have a barrel from a AR 15 rifle? What is the twist rate? The 225 Win is designed for bolt guns and was never available in a semi auto. No Rifles have been built for it since 1971 except for custom rifles. The cartridge is pretty well obsolete.
As for 224 Valkyrie, this is from Monstrum Tactical ------
If you have an AR-15 already chambered for 5.56, you can still make the switch to this hotrod cartridge. The .224 Valkyrie is basically a necked down 6.8 SPC, so if you want to convert your AR-15 to .224 Valk, you’ll need a new barrel (preferably a 24-inch barrel with a 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist rate) and a 6.8 SPC bolt.
While you might be able to get your old .223 mag to work, it could cause feeding issues. So, even though the lower receiver and the mag well are the same, go ahead and splurge on the 6.8 SPC mags. You’ll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume you have a barrel from a AR 15 rifle? What is the twist rate? The 225 Win is designed for bolt guns and was never available in a semi auto. No Rifles have been built for it since 1971 except for custom rifles. The cartridge is pretty well obsolete.
As for 224 Valkyrie, this is from Monstrum Tactical ------
If you have an AR-15 already chambered for 5.56, you can still make the switch to this hotrod cartridge. The .224 Valkyrie is basically a necked down 6.8 SPC, so if you want to convert your AR-15 to .224 Valk, you’ll need a new barrel (preferably a 24-inch barrel with a 1:6.5 or 1:7 twist rate) and a 6.8 SPC bolt.
While you might be able to get your old .223 mag to work, it could cause feeding issues. So, even though the lower receiver and the mag well are the same, go ahead and splurge on the 6.8 SPC mags. You’ll be happier in the long run.
this barrel has never been chambered. it has only been drilled and rifled. the chamber reamer broke and the barrel was never chambered (barrel has no markings or scaring from the broken reamer)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts