AR15 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at uppers on the CMMG web site. Their options for uppers include a full auto carrier. will this work on a semi auto, if so are there any advantages to using one?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Yes they work in a semi-auto. The short simple answer is that they are a bit beefier/stronger.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Though many will disagree with me, I don't think you're supposed to have a FA carrier in an AR according to the NFA branch and the ATF Federal Firearms Regulation book. This also applies to M16 trigger, hammer, disconnect, selector, etc.

Basically, anything relating to the fire control group (and the carrier is part of that)

Here's a link to the page. The info about the M16 carriers is in the middle row.

Read it and decide for yourself before ordering.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9e...ts=B0IqkUJ6cQ&sig=jHowf0wbfE6iJWT_5ZuiTk5VdiY

I will say I'm not trying to start an argument and this topic usually does. I will also say I'm not a lawyer, but I can read.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Though many will disagree with me, I don't think you're supposed to have a FA carrier in an AR according to the NFA branch and the ATF Federal Firearms Regulation book. This also applies to M16 trigger, hammer, disconnect, selector, etc.

Basically, anything relating to the fire control group (and the carrier is part of that)

Here's a link to the page. The info about the M16 carriers is in the middle row.

Read it and decide for yourself before ordering.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9e...ts=B0IqkUJ6cQ&sig=jHowf0wbfE6iJWT_5ZuiTk5VdiY

I'm not trying to start an argument and this topic usually does. I will say I'm not a lawyer, but I can read.
Good to know, thanks. Back to the semi auto carrier.:-(

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
It is legal to have a F/A carrier and bolt. Many manufacturers sell their rifles with F/A bolt/carrier groups as a standard feature. They also sell bolt/carrier groups by themselves without restriction. The law states no m-16 parts may be used; not all F/A bolt/carrier assemblies are the M-16 design. The bolt and carrier alone do not give a semi-auto AR-15 the capability to fire full-auto, so it would not violate the NFA restriction of machine guns.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
If you're looking for more beefy, why not install a carrier weight?

They slide right in the back of the carrier and adds more weight difference the M16 carrier will.

I took these pics after testing the prototype that Devin made.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=362193

General consensus is that the FA carriers are more or less legal as long as no other FA parts are used. Colt currently ships all their Semi-only rifles with FA carriers, so in their case its original equipment. I believe the BATFE has even stated a FA carrier is legal, but like most BATFE rulings it might be open to interpretation.
California has no problem with these.
It's not so much a matter of NEED, it's availability, and to some extent, reliability.
The FA BC is more massive than the semi BC, which tends to help with reliable, solid chambering, particularly if the rifle is a little bit dirty or underlubricated.
Put it this way...there are no functional DISadvantages to having one in your rifle.
They're also readily available, and often cost less than semi BCs.
I live in a free state... My upper was ordered with a FA BCG

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. I also mentioned earlier that many F/A BCG are not M-16 pattern (slight differences in design), meaning that they are legal AR-15 spec. parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your input. I did not want to turn this into a debate like previously mentioned.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, only 1 FA M16 carrier design.

More info here
http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/

Red lines showing differing under side lugs.​
There are others that are sold as being F/A BCG and look similar to M16 carriers, but they have had part of the "sear trip" section cut, and are not considered M16 carriers because they cannot trip a sear. Unless they say it's an M-16 BCG, it's not. They BATF has been illusive on this matter; all anyone has said is if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make. BCG alone will not make a semi-auto into an auto. Manufactures like Colt, LMT, Noveske, and others sell their rifles with FA BCG and have done so for quite a while. The only part that is explicitly restricted by law is the auto sear, even then you still need all the other F/A internals and cannot use a semi-auto receiver without milling out a portion of the receiver, as AR-15 receivers are thicker walled than their M-16 counterparts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said before. I'm not a lawyer, nor the ATF or NFA branch. I can't give anyone a determination. If you want a determination, the best thing I can do is tell you to write the ATF a letter and ask them for one. I'm sure they'lll reply and will also likely tap-dance around the answer. (Hint a lot of the way they'll reply will be in how you ask).

Until they remove the auto carrier out of the federal regulation book saying it's a violation to use them in an AR, I can't with a good conscience recommend you or anyone use them in an AR15. As long as it's written in the book, that's the law and I'm sure if they wanted to push it, they could.

Sorry, but that's just how I see it and I wasn't the one who wrote the rules or included carriers in there, though I agree, it was a dumb move on their part.

If you want to use an auto carrier in an AR15, use it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I understand you.
I'm no lawyer either, yet, but all I'm saying is "don't sweat it."
No one has definitively called it illegal. I can't find the letter the BATF wrote to Colt about using F/A BCG right now, but they basically called it okay as long as it does not make it a machine-gun. Most companies mislabel their BCG as F/A to show that they are heavier or have more metal, but they are slightly different in design from the M-16 BCG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts