AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put a sling on my new varmint build. What have you used for a forward sling stud? I looked at soem last ngiht at the store but they were not really for a free float tube and the stud seemed way too short. I dont mind threading the tub but its so thin I dont think the threads would hold. I assume someone makes one with a nut?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a rail on your barrel tube (im assuming thats what its called)?
No, its a non railed free float tube... I need to drill a hole in it, put a stud in and fasten it with a nut on the back I guess but Im not sure who makes a stud that will work or what one. Im sure if I look enough I will find it but I figures someone already knows...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, i pulled a quick google search and the majority of results were related to railed free float tubes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Hogue Free Float tube has a swivel stud on it but I have a Bipod hooked to it so I am stuck with no sling attachment point on the tube. I am thinking about putting a sling attachment point on the base of my Ace Skeleton stock and using a single point of attachment sling.
;-);-);-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Hogue Free Float tube has a swivel stud on it but I have a Bipod hooked to it so I am stuck with no sling attachment point on the tube. I am thinking about putting a sling attachment point on the base of my Ace Skeleton stock and using a single point of attachment sling.
;-);-);-)
I need the stud on the freefloat tube. No way do I wasnt to carry an 11 1/2 lb rifle around on a single point..lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well ive been wanting to put one on my hogue tube, i havent done it yet but i really dont think threading it will work. it just seems way to thin. but when i was looking around for studs alot of them came with a nut. the only thing i was worried about was that the tube is round so the stud and nut would only be toughing the tube a little but and didnt seem very stable. But if you put a rubber washer on the inside and outside and then screwed it on it seems that would be more stable

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will take a look at mine and see how it is mounted in. i havent had it long. but i use mine for a bipod. may u can IM polymerhead he had it first and i got it from him.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Mine must be about the same weight with the scope and bipod.
:sad::sad::sad:
Does your gas block have a hole for a roll pin through the bottom? Mine came with a sling loop on that. I took it off because the bipod hit it when it was folded forward but might put it back. My rifle weighed 15.5 lbs before i put the magpul prs stock on it and i want to carry it woodchuck hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
;-);-);-)
If you are using a Harris bipod you can attach a sling directly to it. at least mine has a stud on it. That way you only need one stud on the forearm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think the gas block has a hole for another stud but I will go up later today and take a look. The gas block has a mini rail above it but I think the section below is smooth.

My Bipod is not a Harris but it is similar. I didn't see a swivel stud on it when I installed it but I better look closer. I will do that later as well. The gun is not accessible to me right now as I am at work.

Thanks for the comments.
;););)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are using a Harris bipod you can attach a sling directly to it. at least mine has a stud on it. That way you only need one stud on the forearm.

I do in fact have a Harris bipod, I will have to take a closer look at it...

As far as putting a bipod or sling swivel on the gasblock, they pretty much contradicts the freefloat tube...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts