AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to research my next AR-15. I want to get a varminter but I have some questions. The one I'm looking at is Stag Arms. It has a 24'' steel barrel with a 1in8'' twist. Fluted/free floating aluminum handguard, a 2-stage match trigger and an A2 stock. Are these some good features? What's the benefit of the free floating handguard? How much distance will this go over my regular 16'' barrel M4? I have more questions but will post them later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well the free float helps improve accuracy but it doesnt make a big difference IMO i personally got the free float for the looks and secondly the accuracy improvement.
now as far as the 24" barrel goes i feel its a little excessive i have an 18" which in what i have read (sorry no links) is the minimum length to burn all the powder. the 24" will give some more velocity but that comes at a price of extra weight. and i doubt you would notice much differnce between a 20" and 24"

now as far as twist goes what type of bullets are you planning on shooting?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My varmint build has a 24" barrel and its going to be one heavy SOB. If I could have gotten the barrel in 20"-21" that would have been my choice. I got the 24" barrel because it came stainless/fluted and UNDER $200.00 :mrgreen:.

The freefloat tube will improve accuracy because there will be no pressure to influence the barrel while shooting. This is more important if your shooting off of a bipod. the other benefit of the freefloat is a rest will not influence the barrel harmonics.​

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far I only have the upper built and I have not weighed it with my other lower on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many lbs is yalls rifles? This one is 15 without the bipod and scope.
15lbs.????????? WOW!!!!

I could carry TWO of my Bushy superlights with the same weight. Now if I could only figure out how to shoot BOTH of them at the same time.......:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15lbs.????????? WOW!!!!

I could carry TWO of my Bushy superlights with the same weight. Now if I could only figure out how to shoot BOTH of them at the same time.......:p
My fault its 9.7lbs. It was hard for me to see on the little screen on my phone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it helps any my current build is going to be:

24" SS fluted and threaded with 1:8 twist
JP Tactical Muzzle brake
FF tube
Harris Bipod
2 stage trigger
Ace skeleton stock
yada yada yada

Personally I think the 1:8 is the best of both worlds and allows you to shoot a wider spectrum of weights. I have heard that there are flukes where a 1:9 doesn't like 55s but loves 70s and vice versa.

I have a crapload of Wolf which will not be used in this chamber. I have enough raw materials to make 5k of 55 FMJ BTs but I want to have the ability to load some heavier rounds.

I don't know how heavy the rifle will be but that only matters from the truck to the bench.

Some people say 24" is overkill for 300 yards but why not have alittle more muzzle velocity?

This isn't my mall ninja gun.

That's what my carbine is for. :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it helps any my current build is going to be:

24" SS fluted and threaded with 1:8 twist
JP Tactical Muzzle brake
FF tube
Harris Bipod
2 stage trigger
Ace skeleton stock
yada yada yada

Personally I think the 1:8 is the best of both worlds and allows you to shoot a wider spectrum of weights. I have heard that there are flukes where a 1:9 doesn't like 55s but loves 70s and vice versa.

I have a crapload of Wolf which will not be used in this chamber. I have enough raw materials to make 5k of 55 FMJ BTs but I want to have the ability to load some heavier rounds.

I don't know how heavy the rifle will be but that only matters from the truck to the bench.

Some people say 24" is overkill for 300 yards but why not have alittle more muzzle velocity?

This isn't my mall ninja gun.

That's what my carbine is for. :mrgreen:

I have the JP comp on my gun as well, AWESOME comp! I shot a rifle with the muiklik comp on it and I would be hard pressed to feel a difference. One is 90.00 and the other is like 40.00 something.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unless you plan on shooting way out there (say, past 500-600 yards), I'd go with a 18" or 20" barrel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
even my 16" fluted heavy barrel AR weighs 14.5 lbs. That's with a harris 6-9" bipod, A2 stock and a scope.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went for the Rock River Arms 20" Varminter. Great gun and not as heavy as the 24" but just as accurate.

Good Luck!
:D:D:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went for the Rock River Arms 20" Varminter. Great gun and not as heavy as the 24" but just as accurate.
Good Luck!
:D:D:D
At this point I'm gathering information and specs on DPMS, Bushy, RRA, and Stag. I'm going to post it up and ask recommendations. This rifle probably wont be purchased until the summer though. Looking at ammo prices have gotten me down so I think a press and some components are more necessary than the rifle at this point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are only planning to shoot 55 grain bullets a 1in9" or 1in12" barrel will be better for the lighter bullets. This would also allow use of the 45 grainers that wally world sells. By the way the 45 grain bullet is dynamite on everything up to a coyote.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure, and then some. In the military our furthest qualifying range was the 500yd (may have been meters, it's been more than a few years) line with irons.

I think someone posted this before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJWLP81qCAE
How in the world do you shoot that far with irons? Can you even see the target that far away?

Cool vid. Was the bullet arcing? Look like it went up and curved down.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts