AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I've become more and more interested in the AR family over the last few months and I think I've decided that I want to build one as I get the money, or buy one straight out. I've read there can be issues with franken-AR's though. Truth or myth?

I've been looking at the CMMG Bargain Bin because I'm taking a semester off but I'm still a college student, so I'm poor. $570 doesn't sound bad for your basic 16" M4 configuration, which is what I think I want.

However, I want the following stuff on it, and ONLY this stuff:

• Flip-up iron sights
  • Some type of sight (parallax free is numero uno concern)
  • Vertical foregrip of some type, this is optional really
  • Surefire flashlight (not cheap I know)
  • Rails on foregrip

Besides a sling, that's basically what I want. Not picky about anything brand name-wise except for the Surefire light. Some day I'll get a suppressor so would I be able to take the flash guard off and put a suppressor on it, or are not all barrels threaded? I'm an EBR noob so please take it easy on me... :)

Anyways, just wanted to see what you guys thought would be the best idea for the cheapest gear that is dependable and works. I can do it piece by piece, perhaps some help coming from birthday and Christmas later this year, who knows.

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
From everything I have read about the CMMG bargain bin rifles they are a good choice. This would leave you plenty of money to add goodies to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
As far as mags go, I was thinking the USGI 30 rounders just down the page from the CMMG rifles. $9.95 apiece doesn't seem like a bad deal to me providing they're decent.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
surefire lights are way way overated. i should know I got a couple of them. even paid $300 for one!

Rifle - I would pass on the bargain bin rifles. I am sure they are ok but they are bargain bin for a reason. Most of them are probably past their half life. You can easily build a complete brand new Delton rifle for about $650 (M4 kit + stripped lower + shipping +ffl fees). Or maybe go for one of the best and get a complete LMT for about $1100.

Main Site - I would go Aimpoint. They have been proven, waterproof to 80 ft, and has long battery life. You can leave them on for 5 years! no parallax issue and infinate eye relief. Price with a good mount will be about $500. I see them used every once in awhile for abotu $200-$300.

Backup Iron Site - I would go ARMs 40L. It mounts low and is a solid piece, goes for about $110. If you will be running a red dot, you won't need the flip up option so another option would get a fixed site, or you chop down a carry handle. Carry handles sites are the best as they can adjust both windage and elevation. They go for about $90 for good ones. But if you shop around I see them for sale all the time for $50 or less.

Rail - I really like the DD Omega rail. 2 piece but is a free float. It looks good, but best of all you can take it on/off anytime without much difficulty to put on a different rifle if you chose to. $250. Midwest and YHM has a 2 piece units that will run you about $100. But neither is no where as nice as the Omega.

Light - to me the most amazing light ever is the Fenix with Cree bulbs. The Fenix T1 ($70) is big enough to use weapon light mounts ($30). Right there you will have the ultimate light for only $100.

Foregrip - Tango Downs go for $60. But I use the UTG's, they are just as good and go for $10 from Cheaper than Dirt. Both mount solid to the rifle and both have a storage compartment. I sold my Tango Down for $40 to pick up 3 UTG's.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
EricCartmann knows his ARs, I'd listen to him. However, a good substitute for the ARMs 40L is the GG&G A2.

Oh, and I like the Eotech better. I REALLY wanted the Aimpoint but after trying them both out at the local gun shop...
Try them both out if you can; they're expensive so you'd better know for sure which one you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
You should really take a look at Model 1, I love mine. I have had no malfunctions so far. Plus you can make it the way you want it. Believe me when you get it you will just want more and better stuff to add to it.

I got my Tango Down Fore grip from BOTACH for like $45 on a sale right now they are $63.39. I also have a Midwest Industries 2 piece free-floating rail. Pair with the Tango down they are both absolutely Solid.

Ergo grip of course, rubber is so much better than any of the plastics. Especially after you build up some sweat.

MI flip up front and rear sights
, I am happy with them accurate enough but kind of rickety and loose. Too easy to flip up/down, just not solid. You wouldn't want to bang them on anything your zero would be gone.

I bought an Essential Arms stripped lower receiver for $80. But for just a basic kit from Model 1 you could put together a nice kit for like $600 give or take.

Hope this helps.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
CMMG bargain bin rifles..... great starter rifles. Go to the website. They are not used.... just dinged up some... I was going to buy one but went for a AR15 in a 9mm. Cheap on ammo and cost me $800... then got a 223/5.56 RRA upper for $457... Now for around $1,200 I have two weapons for the price of one. Search the AR Talk section for some chat about those rifles. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I will refrain from making any comments on what AR somebody should buy lest I hear the "stop pushing brand X or brand Y" propaganda crap again. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
However, I want the following stuff on it, and ONLY this stuff:
  • Flip-up iron sights
  • Some type of sight (parallax free is numero uno concern)
  • Vertical foregrip of some type, this is optional really
  • Surefire flashlight (not cheap I know)
  • Rails on foregrip
Besides a sling, that's basically what I want. Not picky about anything brand name-wise except for the Surefire light.
You need to call Calvin at Brightflashlights. I've ordered from him a few times and he has good prices and great service.

Flip-up irons: ARMS. Troy. Midwest Industries. YHM. PRI. The list is endless. I have an ARMS 40a on my M4gery, and I have a GG&G MAD buis and MI front flip sight for my 6.8SPC upper.

optics: If this is going to be a blasting/plinking rifle, why get a sight that is going to cost almost as much as the rifle? Eotech and Aimpoint are great, but if you aren't going into combat any time soon, get something that is good but not "bulletproof" (you pay for the bulletproof bit). I have a Bushnell Holosight. It is made by Eotech (or Bushnell makes them for Eotech; I can't remember which way it is), but it doesn't have the armored exterior for combat. It might not be durable enough for Iraq, but then you probably aren't headed over there right now. It has served me very well for the past 4 years. Even used it to harvest a deer at ~120yds.

VFG: I just bought my 2nd Tdi short VFG from Brightflashlights for my new 6.8 upper (bought my first one before they merged with First Samco). It's rock solid on my quad rail and fits my hand just right without a bunch of extra hanging down. It holds 2 spare N-type batteries for my Holosight.

Light: The Fenix T1 that Cartman mentioned! If you're set on a Surefire, contact Brightflashlights for some deals. Get a Viking Tactics offset mount for it to mount on the quad rail you want.

rails: I like YHM. The 2-piece is very solid. Mine has no play at all. The free float is good, too. Later, you can sell it and upgrade to a DD or Troy or whatever.

In case you haven't noticed, contacting Brightflashlights is a recurrent theme with me. It might be helpful for you, especially since you're on a tight budget.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I have the YHM FF lightweight rail i love it! It is rock solid and wont break the bank either.I have a vertical grip from UTG icost me less than 20 bucks and it is solid. I use a Surefire G2 for my light also not so expensive but excellent quality.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
go with cmmg, dpms, or a bushy. all these you can get at low prices. then look at UTG, or Magpul products for your tact gear. and i like my Midwest flip up sights. they have a front sight for the front of your rail or put on a gas block with a rail and use their flip up for that, and that will get you a couple more inches apart for better pin point shots.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
By the way just caught on where r at. Do you know any people with the last names of couch or gross in your area or in bardstown, ky.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
By the way just caught on where r at. Do you know any people with the last names of couch or gross in your area or in bardstown, ky.
Nope, can't say that I do.

Thanks for the info guys! I just want to get this thing priced out, it probably won't happen for a few more months.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say buy the best you can afford, you will probably want to change things around once you get cozy with your carbine anyways. They don't call it EBRD for nothing.

IIRC I dropped about ~$800 on my Stag, I now easily have double that in aftermarket mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I'd say buy the best you can afford, you will probably want to change things around once you get cozy with your carbine anyways. They don't call it EBRD for nothing.

IIRC I dropped about ~$800 on my Stag, I now easily have double that in aftermarket mods.
Hopefully I'll be able to put a the stuff I mentioned on there and be done with it, and just shoot it and maybe take some classes with it.

Simple is best, IMO. If I just can't stop spending money I'll buy more guns and put the stuff on them! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
=Rifle - I would pass on the bargain bin rifles. I am sure they are ok but they are bargain bin for a reason. Most of them are probably past their half life. You can easily build a complete brand new Delton rifle for about $650 (M4 kit + stripped lower + shipping +ffl fees). Or maybe go for one of the best and get a complete LMT for about $1100.
Eric does know his stuff but i have to disagree go with the bargin bin rifle i purchased two of them and even though i sold both of them they were great weapons just got offered considerably more for one of them than what i paid and i traded the other one off for a SA EMP at the big gun show her in Oklahoma.

The CMMG bargin bin rifles are new only Test fired for head spacing what they are is the rifles that CMMG builds out of thier Stock and minor cosmetic blemishes, all the insides are brand new however they do not come with any other than the rifle, no rear sights, no mags, no case everything else is pretty basic standard car hand guards, standard colapible stock, basic B/BC/CH and a Chrome moly barrel, they are chambered in .223/5.56 upper and lower finish is near perfect in most cases but it may have a light scratches they build these to take them to shows and sell them so they get a little scratched up but nothing to major.

try one you will not be disappointed

=Light - to me the most amazing light ever is the Fenix with Cree bulbs. The Fenix T1 ($70) is big enough to use weapon light mounts ($30). Right there you will have the ultimate light for only $100.
+1000 those Fenix lights are Awsome and super bright, IMO they are better than SF

if you are going to be using this weapon for range use only you could save a few hundred $$$ and get a S.P.O.T its basically Identical to an AP ML2 at about 1/3 the price if you plan on going in to LE or Defending the world agaist oppression then the AP or EO is a must have, if for any reason it breaks during thier warranty period they will take care of you ASAP and even send you a nice letter back saying how sorry they are that they did not meet your expectations.

onc small word of advice BRD hasn't taken hold of you yet then resist becasue it will become an addiction and you will want as many of them as you can afford, you will be standing out infront of the Ammo store like a Crack Fiend begging for change to buy AMMO and accessories and more EBRs

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Eric does know his stuff but i have to disagree go with the bargin bin rifle i purchased two of them and even though i sold both of them they were great weapons just got offered considerably more for one of them than what i paid and i traded the other one off for a SA EMP at the big gun show her in Oklahoma.

The CMMG bargin bin rifles are new only Test fired for head spacing what they are is the rifles that CMMG builds out of thier Stock and minor cosmetic blemishes, all the insides are brand new however they do not come with any other than the rifle, no rear sights, no mags, no case everything else is pretty basic standard car hand guards, standard colapible stock, basic B/BC/CH and a Chrome moly barrel, they are chambered in .223/5.56 upper and lower finish is near perfect in most cases but it may have a light scratches they build these to take them to shows and sell them so they get a little scratched up but nothing to major.

try one you will not be disappointed

+1000 those Fenix lights are Awsome and super bright, IMO they are better than SF

if you are going to be using this weapon for range use only you could save a few hundred $$$ and get a S.P.O.T its basically Identical to an AP ML2 at about 1/3 the price if you plan on going in to LE or Defending the world agaist oppression then the AP or EO is a must have, if for any reason it breaks during thier warranty period they will take care of you ASAP and even send you a nice letter back saying how sorry they are that they did not meet your expectations.

onc small word of advice BRD hasn't taken hold of you yet then resist becasue it will become an addiction and you will want as many of them as you can afford, you will be standing out infront of the Ammo store like a Crack Fiend begging for change to buy AMMO and accessories and more EBRs
I believe I'm going to end up going into the military or law enforcement one before long, they've both been weighing heavily on my mind for the last two years or so. Plus you never know when Red Dawn will happen for real. :p

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
I believe I'm going to end up going into the military or law enforcement one before long, they've both been weighing heavily on my mind for the last two years or so. Plus you never know when Red Dawn will happen for real. :p
Military will not be an issue, if you go in to the armed forces they will provide you everything you need including a top of the line NV capable Aimpoint and some really spiffy new casual attire.

whatever you choose choose it fast before the Dems get in office and try and take them from us again.

and when red dawn happens again for real there will be plenty of weapons laying on the ground just grab one and keep going for that scenerio i would suggest taking out of the Infidels and taking one of thier full autos a Semi no matter how good it is will not hold up against sustained automatic fire.

for the above senerio i would get a Rem 700 with good glass and practice making the long shot that will get you the full auto that you really need.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Military will not be an issue, if you go in to the armed forces they will provide you everything you need including a top of the line NV capable Aimpoint and some really spiffy new casual attire.

whatever you choose choose it fast before the Dems get in office and try and take them from us again.

and when red dawn happens again for real there will be plenty of weapons laying on the ground just grab one and keep going for that scenerio i would suggest taking out of the Infidels and taking one of thier full autos a Semi no matter how good it is will not hold up against sustained automatic fire.

for the above senerio i would get a Rem 700 with good glass and practice making the long shot that will get you the full auto that you really need.
My grandfather builds custom sniper rifles, so I'm hoping to get the cash before he quits building (or passes away) to buy one of his rifles. Only problem is, the cheapest one is $2400, which is a little out of my price range. :shock:

Anyways, I figure semi-autos will be the first to go so I should get what I need now if I want to have it at all. If I go LE, I'll probably work for a small-town department in which case having my own rifle will be helpful because I seem to remember them saying that officers could use their own as long as they could qualify with it, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

As for going military... I'd get to play with all the goodies. ;) That will require a bit more thought though, it's not a decision I want to just make on a whim.

As for the Red Dawn scenario, I'd run out of boolets with a full-auto. :p Hopefully evasion would be the name of the game, not full-blown firefights. After SHTF it's gonna be hard to treat gunshot wounds without hospitals or training in that area.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
if your going in to LE a lot of the small towns make you provide your own at least here they do, its kinda a hard decision to make if thats the case if you get it now then you can't write it off on your taxes if you wait, it will be work related and thus provide a nice tax deduction, not to mention most manufacures provide LE discounts,

1 - 20 of 27 Posts