AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for your answers...I'm looking into buying an AR and want to know about the diff b/w 308 vs 223 vs 300 etc. I plan to plink, shoot at the range and hunt with this gun. I'll get a carbine with a picatiny rail for optics and another rail for home defense type stuff, but I hear that the standard 223 is not enough for deer etc...what is your opinion?

Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
.223 is plenty for deer but check your local laws as many areas wont let you hunt deer with a .223.

.223 ammo is cheap (relatively speaking) and its in abundance so for overall purposes go with a 5.56/.223. You can also take a .223 round out to 600 yards.

Plus I dont think they make carbine AR-10s. Thats what a AR chambered in .308 is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, so I suppose I won't be able to find a 16" in 308?
You can definately find one in .308. I know Armalite makes one in .308 and I'm pretty sure Rock River Arms does too.

Although proportionally they look a little goofy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you might want to double check me

but if you want a rifle in the near future then .223/5.56 rifles are easy to come by

ive been looking at .308, and theyre saying almost a year for delivery

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an AR in the 5.56 flavor but if I could get another one now it would be the 6.8 SPC :D! Down side is gun cost and ammo costs/reloading components more difficult to obtain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was going to mention an Armalite as I have a AR10A4 20". You can even build on with a 12.5" barrel from Noveske.

I upgraded to the AR10 two years ago after selling my Bushmaster A3 Shorty. I wanted the extended range and power of the 7.62 round. The Armalite is a great weapon.
Is it much heavier than a AR-15?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is it much heavier than a AR-15?
Comparing from what I cam from yes. The Bushy I had was real short 14.5" and the Ar10 I have now is a 20" The 7.62 is a powerful round so everything is beefed up on the 10.

This is just my opinion but the AR15 and AR10 are very different. I wouldn't want to hump it with the 10 for miles and miles although I have "walked" with my 10 "slinged" for many miles in the Georgia woods deer hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as LAZ pointed out, yes 16" ARs in 308 are out there. I own 2 DPMS 308 (havent been able to shoot them since I am out of the cournty for work but that changes on FRIDAY, god I can not wait). The first is the 24" flutted bull and the other is a flutted 18" that is actually SHORTER than the 16" with flash supressor. kind of the bst of both worlds thing. I ordered my off of the net gun shops. But I want a 20tact 308 just because and it will make a good parts gun if it ever comes to it.

My new 18" 308, all I have is photos to look at and bills to cringe at. But I ordered a Luepold 2.5x8 MK4 M1 with ill TMR, laure mount, magpul rail covers, want a offset smaller CQB setup Jpoint ect.

Now to order a few rounds of ammo. Go money pits.

Here is the business end of the other. As soon as I get home and get everything put together I will update photos in the photo section.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was at the range and saw a .50 Beowulf carbine this weekend. California Fixed magazine, but it was a beast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this one but don't .308 need more barrel than 16''-18'' for the powder to burn effectively?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can answer this one but don't .308 need more barrel than 16''-18'' for the powder to burn effectively?
Almost. The round will lose performance when shortening the barrel length. There is an approx. "rule of thumb" like 50-100fps every inch that you remove from the barrel length. The guys that have the 16" get 1MOA out of their rifles but not the extended range like the longer ones. With custom barrels they have some trouble getting the gas system to work properly if they go to short.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ive Been Reading Alot Positive Things About The New 6.8mm/.270 Round. It Packs More Of Punch Compared To The 5.56 And Isn't Much Heavier. I Do Believe You Can Use The Standard Ar-15 Mags Also. Correct Me If I'm Wrong About That One.

Good Luck With Your Decision:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also look up JD Jones at SSKindustries.com. if you don't know who he is, then find out about calibers marked "JDJ" or "Whisper"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts