AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not familiar in the least bit with the weapon but would like to be. I'd like to start of with a fully complete weapon. What're y'all's thoughts on this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need more info.

What is the weapons intended purpose, what distances do you realistically plan to shoot, how big of a bullet do you plan to use?

Buying is as good as building. But building your own gives you more options.

It's not like you'll ever change anything anyway.:lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lots of good ones. Look at Stag, Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rock River, S&W, or any of a dozen others. Look for the features and price combo you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look for the features and price combo you like.
+1. If you can afford $1300-$1500 with money to spare for mags and ammo, go Colt. If you're on a tighter budget go Stag, or even get a used CMMG. Just remember to leave room for MAGS AND AMMO. Dont worry about optics until you can use those iron sights but get MAGS AND AMMO.

I need to practice what I preach though, only got 60 rounds left. :sad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Havin owned tons of AR15's and M16 its pretty much just the name anymore. They are all 7075 forged receivers anymore, maybe OLY still makes cast but i avoid them. The main issue anymore is just are you gonna pay that extra $400 for it to have a pony on the side or a snake?? get a cheap lower and build one, its easy, quick and nothin like shootin a gun you built.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Havin owned tons of AR15's and M16 its pretty much just the name anymore. They are all 7075 forged receivers anymore, maybe OLY still makes cast but i avoid them. The main issue anymore is just are you gonna pay that extra $400 for it to have a pony on the side or a snake?? get a cheap lower and build one, its easy, quick and nothin like shootin a gun you built.

Yipper!! :)

I just finished my first AR build last week. I bought 2 Essential Arms lowers, put a lower parts kit in one, installed stock, pinned the upper on it and walked outside to start shooting! :p Build two will be soon...;)

I saved a bit of money and learned a bit more than I knew already about the AR/M16 platform. Go for it, you will be happy to "build" your own.

Kent

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
buildings the best idea since you can get the cheapest lower and have money to be able to buy a good upper.
i have a cmmg upper $525
the compleate rifle with that same exact upper cost $1075
i bought a supiorer arms lower and a dpms lowerparts kit and a cheap collapsable stock for about $200
so that gives me a rifle that is pretty much the same as the $1075 compleate one but mine only cost $725

the lower really doesnt make a differnce as long as its made to spec and is forged its exactly the same as other just a different name

so by building instead of buying i saved $350
and i also learned how the rifle works and now if something breaks i can fix it instead of paying someone else to fix it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't mind building my own ... I just don't know anything about it. I 'spose I could get my friend's (Army reserve kid who is nuts about 'em). I'm just worried about buy the wrong part or something that doesn't match up to what it should, heh.

It'll be used for putting holes in paper, really.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
buildings the best idea since you can.....

save the money that the excise tax would be

so by building instead of buying i saved $350

most of that was excise tax

and i also learned how the rifle works and now if something breaks i can fix it instead of paying someone else to fix it

;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with that little package there I can have a lovely AR for $575? I might convince my friend to build one instead of buy ... then I'll build one eventually

1 - 20 of 30 Posts