AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have never seen an EOTech, Aimpoint, or ACOG in person, but what makes a great scope?

To me, I think of the "holographic" scoops as being ones that the reticle "moves" -- meaning that no mater where the gun is aiming or which angle you look at it from, the crosshairs always point in the correct direction. Is the ACOG like this, or is the reticle "fixed" like a regular scope?

I am looking at an ACOG with a DOCTOR on top. What is the difference between the EOTech and DOCTOR?

I must be really dumb with this, but basically what makes an ACOG the "best" scope?

I figure if I am going to throw down this kind of money on a scope, I might as well go all out.

Which ACOG? I like the JP-modified one because of the reticle. Can't decide between 4X or 5.5X. What range can I effectively target for?

Any links would be great...especially videos looking down the sights!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is nothing that makes it the "best" scope. IMO it's not. It's a compact lightweight magnifying scope with bullet drop compensation and tritium and fiberoptic (on most models) illumination.

It's a good allround scope bascilly but for me the price tag IS WAYYYY TO HIGH.

I guess everyone likes (at least I like it) because it does lots of stuff. Maybe not one thing in particular really well but it does a lot of things alright. If that made any sense it's getting kind of late and I just spent the last 4 hrs installing a nautalius air horn on my KLR. PITA to find a place to mount it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out AR15.com they have an entire section devoted to ACOG, Scope and optics for the AR platform including photos. ACOG's are great fixed power scopes designed specificly for the M16/M4/AR platforms and very durable. If you are going to shoot in low light, no light situations ACOGs are great. If you are not I would save the money, ACOGs are very spendy and for 1/2 the price you can get a top of the line scope.

I use Iron Sights and a EoTech for most of my AR shooting but am needing to switch to optics as my eyes are getting strained. I am kicking around the idea of getting an ACOG and removing the EoTech for varmit hunting but am still debating that or a new rifle with a variable scope.

Check out the equipment exchage on ARFCOM you can usually pick up one for a good price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ACOG's are renowned for always having a brightly lit reticle no matter the ambient light (without batteries... that's a huge selling point for some folks), being extremely durable, and being specifically designed (certain models) for M16/4 etc. rifles and carbines. If I had a big chunk of change to blow, I'd get one for sure. However, I don't have that so I'll hold off on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a ACOG junkie myself. If I was rich I would own a lot more than 2. They are pricey, but to me they are well worth it.

They are a true combat optic, they are bombproof, glass is so crisp and clear it is addicting, they come in a compact package, have excellent field of view, and they do not need any batteries. Try one and you will want one.

The ACOG will turn your 300M gun into a 600M gun. The BDC (bullet drop compensator) is very easy to use, and even if you use different ammo, or differnt barrel length, it will get you close and eventually you will get to learn the drop for your particuliar rifle.

There are many types of ACOGs. For precision work I like the reticle of the TA-01NSN the best. But the short eye relief of the TA01/31 series makes it a nose to the charging handle type optic and makes it a little slower. I have heard good things about the TA-33 series. It has a little longer eye relief than a TA01/31 and comes in a more compact package. Of all the ACOG's, I like the TA-11 series the best as it has BAC and a longer eye relief that makes it very fast and very easy to use. I like my TA-11F so much that I plan to get another one, a TA-11E for my AR-10.

TA-11F on my 14.5" Noveske N4 Light Lowprofile

TA-01NSN on my HBar 16" Bushmaster

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No batteries, very light, very tough, great eye relief, fast, accurate and easy to use. They also, in the carry handle mount, allow the use of iron sights by dropping cheek rest 1/2". They are the smallest, most reliable and durable combat optic you can find.

Expensive... but well worth it. Had mine for years before they became popular. TA45-6 (1.5x x 24 w/Amber dot, carry handle mount)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While I like the ACOG, like many things it is absolutely a matter of personal preference. They are bomb proof (that would be literally) and the pro's have been described.

For me, I've really grown to like the EOTech line so much that I have 3. Add a flip to side magnifier and reaching out to 300m and beyond is more than doable, it's down right slick. So with the 2.5x LaRue Po' Boy configuration (Hensoldt magnifier cleaned up) or the 3x EOTech magnifier both on Flip To Side mounts I have the choice of magnification or the very fast acquisition of the EOTech reticle.

While you don't get the BDC from the EOTech reticle, a 50m zero gives you excellent zeroing at 200m and adjusting in between or beyond is not difficult at all.

Really, all of this comes down to how you plan on using the rifle. I like having the option of switching to magnification without changing the optic out. ACOG's offer a fixed magnification choice that means compromising to get a median solution. Placed on a dedicated role weapon, cool. On a multi-role weapon like build mine out for, options are king.

Still, if I found the right price I'd own an ACOG in a heart beat, they are really just that damn good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, are you guys claiming that you're doing precision shooting @ 500 yds/meters with a 4 power ACOG scope?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"What's so great about the ACOG?"

For one thing, the price.... LOL!

Couldn't help myself. But it is a excellent rugged magnified scope that dosen't require batteries.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a pretty sweet scope. I would cream myself if I got to shoot with one. But what makes it better? Not much. It is WAAAY over priced IMO. But it is still a sweet scope if you don't take price into consideration.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, are you guys claiming that you're doing precision shooting @ 500 yds/meters with a 4 power ACOG scope?
I don't have one so I can't speak to 500 yrd shots with it. I can say that 300+m with the EOTech 552 and LaRue Po'Boy are very very viable and have made some of those hitting COM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
correction... you need 150 HEAD SHOT kills on COD4 to get it!
Actually regular kills on assault rifles, subs, shotguns and LMG's. Maybe youre referring to sniper or non 360 COD4. Head shots for tiger camo!

It may even be 100 and 150 for silencer!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually regular kills on assault rifles, subs, shotguns and LMG's. Maybe youre referring to sniper or non 360 COD4. Head shots for tiger camo!

It may even be 100 and 150 for silencer!
i think you're right! all those damn flash bangs going off on my hdtv is starting to get me confused! damn soap!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL I know what you mean...I play it on PC, normally with headset for teamtalk. When I put it on the surround system, the flashbangs are way to much....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts