AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you buy it at a local gun store or on the internet? If on the internet, can you post a link of the one you purchased? Also, which brand is the best one to get? I have heard that Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms are quality guns. Any help here will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought my First AR through an FFL garage dealer and then I started just buying the receivers through the same guy and building from the ground up. I ordered my parts from all over the net. Del-ton, Model 1, Midwayusa, Brownells, and a few others.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two Colt ARs and three Bushmasters. All but one were purchased from Cheaper Than Dirt. A lot of people will insist that Colt is better than Bushmaster or RRA however, I have found, at least the ones I have bought, the Bushmaster is a quality weapon and the fit and finish is equal to the Colt.

I believe any good quality AR from one of the major manufactures will serve you well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have 1 AR at this point, got it at a gun show from a local company.

My next one will come from a guy I met who builds sub-machine guns and suppressors and has every license you can think of for firearms and it will come wholesale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought my first during the ban at a local shop. Have built the rest, bought the lowers at local shows and the rest mostly from the EE on ar15.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my RRA from Pete at Legal Transfers (Ar15Sales.com). Pete is the largest distributor of RRA (and other brands) in the country. He is also a real great guy to deal with.

I ordered my M6A2 from my local gun club.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Built mine but a rundown:
Lower: Spike's
Upper: RRA from Pete at Legal Transfers
LPK, Stock: M1S at a gun show

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my first Bushmaster from Sportsman's Warehouse locally because they had the lowest price and it was in stock.

I have pretty much replaced every part except the barrel, upper, bolt, and lower.

Parts have come from Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt, Botach, Pete at Legal Transfers, and random people from forums.

I just bought a lower from a show and will buy everything online.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you buy it at a local gun store or on the internet? If on the internet, can you post a link of the one you purchased? Also, which brand is the best one to get? I have heard that Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River Arms are quality guns. Any help here will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
You won't do bad with any of the above manufacturers. I own all three, and think all three are great. The specifications that you want for your rifle are the most important considerations when determining which brand to go with. Some brands offer more options than others. For example, Colt makes one of the best rifles out there, but Bushmaster and Rock River offer many more options and configurations.

Figure out what barrel length(14.5, 16, 20, etc), profile (HBar, Govt, lightweight, etc), twist rate (1/9, 1/7, etc), lining (chrome lined, non-chrome lined), and gas system (rifle, carbine, midlength) you want. What kind of upper receiver (A1, A2, A3). What kind of feed ramps. What kind of stock (A2, A1, Milspec collapsable, Comercial collapsable).

If you don't know what all of these options are, then school yourself before you drop +/- $1000.

When determining where to buy, find the place with the best deal. Just remember that if you order off the internet, you will have to pay shipping and do a transfer through a FFL which usually costs around $20.

If you decide to buy at a gun shop or gun show, make sure you know exactly what you want. NEVER let some guy in a gun shop try to sell you something other than exactly what you want. For some reason, the AR-15 is one of the most BSed about guns there is. Gun shop dealers are notorious for feeding people BS stories about how great some junk AR they have on the shelf is, and the story usually has some reference to an elite military unit. Remember that they are just like car salesmen. All they want is a sale.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought an unfired RRA Govt.-DEA Civilian 16" tactical carbine off of a guy advertising on GunBroker.com. He was having trouble moving it across auction, so went to him direct to see how he'd deal. His pics worked against him in really showing the "as new" condition on the site, but got some better ones after he understood I was serious. Rifle came with a fixed tactical stock due to seller living in the state of New York. Ended with a sweet deal at a much lower cost for this model than could buy anywhere else.

Have since added an Aimpoint ML2 w/3x Magnifier, CAA 6-position adjustable stock, & CAA foregrip. Rifle runs extremely well (even with using Wolf ammo). Very pleased with fit & finish of how it's turned out!:-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bought a CMMG lower
DPMS Lower Parts Kit
Purchased an A2 stock from gentleman on here
Bought a used Colt 20" upper A3

It is a complete Frankenstein, and I think that is why I like it so much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those of you also from Canada (aka the Great White North).

Phone mail order for the Armalite (Wolverine) and email/fax for the Rock River (Questar).

Can't comment on pricing but the service from both these companies is GREAT! ;) Good communication and pleasant to deal with while waiting for the order and then government paperwork. They have good prices but I'm sure I could have found a little bit cheaper but I don't know what kind of service you'd get for a cheaper place.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/ (AR15, 1911, XD45)

http://www.questar.ca/ (9mm AR15 & legal 9mm and .223 10rd mags)

Honorable mention: Ordered some handguns (including the XD9) from here... also good service and good stock of guns.... http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

All three do the CFC transfer and ship Canada Post so save your provincial taxes. :-D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nearly all of it off GunBroker: Each line from a different seller.

Superior arms lower from -GB
DPMS lower parts kit -GB
Complete 16" DPMS Upper flat top with YHM tactical grip- GB
CAA stock/spring/buffer I got from a dealer on arfcom
NCstar 3-9x42 scope (laugh all you want. it works) - GB

1 - 20 of 35 Posts