AR15 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I could get a set of the old style, first generation M-16 handguards. Will they still fit a modern AR?

Sorry if these questions are really obvious, I'm just getting ready to build myself an AR and I've always liked the looks of the old style handgaurds better than the new rounded ones. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the old ones?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know where I could get a set of the old style, first generation M-16 handguards. Will they still fit a modern AR?

Sorry if these questions are really obvious, I'm just getting ready to build myself an AR and I've always liked the looks of the old style handgaurds better than the new rounded ones. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the old ones?
I don't know of any places that sell them. Your best bet is buying them on http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=119

This is the equipment exghange on ar15.com. They show up all the time, but sometimes you have to be patient.

Sellers usually list them with other parts. Look for posts titled "Retro Parts" or "Colt Parts".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you might also try looking in mil surp stores, i see then occasionally at a few of the ones around here while im scavaging for surplus ammo,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heck i think all of you guys just missed out on a heck of a deal a few weeks ago as i seen a guy sell his complete m16-A1 clone ar15 for $450.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try Sarco Inc. They have a lot of AR stuff. I don't know if they have the best prices or not but their service is good and they ship a lot of stuff legally here to Canada. Too bad they can't ship every part out of the US. :(

http://www.sarcoinc.com/

As far as fit goes, it depends on what the front mount is like. My Armalire (& my RRA for that matter) still use the triangular mount up front so they fit on in a matter of seconds.

Since they were used military issue, I cleaned them up with some wet 400 grit and a can of semi-gloss. Still have to take a pic of the painted ones but here they are on my AR before I cleaned them up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you forgot to put a pic of a decent cigar and a stick of TNT in that pic, for a nice rounded out BATFE post:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disadvantage of the Triangular handguards:

1)They have right and left sides. They cannon be interchanged top to bottom.

But besides that it pretty much comes down to personal preference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you forgot to put a pic of a decent cigar and a stick of TNT in that pic, for a nice rounded out BATFE post:cool:
LOL... just realized about that. Sorry, we don't have a BATFE here or anything similar so it slipped my mind to add those items when I took the pic.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Found some for $8 in very good condition. You will need a triagular handguard cap to fit them on a modern AR

http://www.reesesurplus.com/grips.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts