AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i think i finally got enough cash together to pour me a big glass of some AIMPOINT Kool-Aid so now i just need to pick which model are any particular models better than others,

its going to be going on the front of a gooseneck A2 carry handle mount in the scout position,

don't really care about NVG

also can someone here please explain the whole MOA deal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MOA is roughly 1" at 100 yds so a 2 moa dot covers 2" at 100 and a 4moa dot covers 4". The 4" dot is quicker at close ranges and the 2" dot is more precise for longer distances.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're gonna use it with a 3xMag then choose the 2, not the 4... the dot will be magnified as well... becomes too big.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, for the info.

are there any with adjustable dot settings? im thinking not.

so would say a 2 MOA be a better all around size dot?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That depends are you going to be breaking in doors 4MOA, or general shooting with the possibility of home defense 2MOA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, for the info.

No and Yes! Keep in mind how close your eye will be to the sight. If you are going to forward mount it you might want the larger dot. It will appear even smaller if you get the 2MOA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am going to be a leet tactical paper puncher maybe some three gun courses.

but mostly ridding the world of all that terrorist paper

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No and Yes! Keep in mind how close your eye will be to the sight. If you are going to forward mount it you might want the larger dot. It will appear even smaller if you get the 2MOA.

right now its going to be mounted in the scout position as i cant get a good cheek weld with it on top of the carry handle, my next build is going to be in the A3 config and would like to be able to use it on that as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you want NEW or USED ?

If it were me, I'd look on the ar15.com EE for a nice used one, and the mount too......

I'd go with the Comp ML2 with the 4 moa dot for all around use.
I have 2 of them.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right now its going to be mounted in the scout position as i cant get a good cheek weld with it on top of the carry handle, my next build is going to be in the A3 config and would like to be able to use it on that as well.
That is where you want the magnifier. again 2MOA will fit the bill!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you want NEW or USED ?

If it were me, I'd look on the ar15.com EE for a nice used one, and the mount too......

I'd go with the Comp ML2 with the 4 moa dot for all around use.
I have 2 of them.

Mike

not sure just yet thinking new for the benefit of the warranty but i definitely would consider a used one for the right price. my only concern is I've been jacked a time or two on boards so like to keep my transactions FTF unless its an inexpensive item.

right now my budget is probably going to be around $500 or less and i currently have a tacpoint with decent mounts that i could use until i get my A3

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not sure just yet thinking new for the benefit of the warranty but i definitely would consider a used one for the right price. my only concern is I've been jacked a time or two on boards so like to keep my transactions FTF unless its an inexpensive item.

right now my budget is probably going to be around $500 or less and i currently have a tacpoint with decent mounts that i could use until i get my A3

understand.....I've had great luck with dealing on the ar15 EE

a new ML2 (4 moa) will be close to $400
a new ML3 (2 moa) will be close to $450

Then your carry handle mount will be about $100

Mike

dinner time :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
understand.....I've had great luck with dealing on the ar15 EE

a new ML2 (4 moa) will be close to $400
a new ML3 (2 moa) will be close to $450

Then your carry handle mount will be about $100

Mike

dinner time :D
ive already got a good gooseneck A2 carry handle mount so that will save me some $$$

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks, for the info.

OK, dinner's done, kids are calming down... Yes, there's one with adjustable dots, but not available to the public (I can't wait 'til it is)... the ELCAN SpecterDR:
http://armament.com/
It only runs a $1000 more than you'd pay for a CompML3 w/3xMag. The great thing about this is when you flip to 4x the dot size actually shrinks from 6 to 1.5MOA. There's one for 5.56 and 7.62 (gotta have 'em).

Anyhow, dreams aside, get the 2MOA, especially if you're gonna use a magnifier.

Standing Corrected: I guess they actually are now available to the public for only about $1500 if you can find 'em... last I heard they were about $1800 and not available to Civ's: http://www.ar15.com/content/products/sights/elcan/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, dinner's done, kids are calming down... Yes, there's one with adjustable dots, but not available to the public (I can't wait 'til it is)... the ELCAN SpecterDR:
http://armament.com/
It only runs a $1000 more than you'd pay for a CompML3 w/3xMag. The great thing about this is when you flip to 4x the dot size actually shrinks from 6 to 1.5MOA. There's one for 5.56 and 7.62 (gotta have 'em).

Anyhow, dreams aside, get the 2MOA, especially if you're gonna use a magnifier.

Elcan Spectre DR :p:p

My next optic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just ordered my sight from centurion ordered the AP ML2 decided to go with the 4MOA as i cant see me using a magnifier any time soon. when i get my A3 built i might just pick up another ap with a 2MOA and one of those knock off ap magnifiers

Coincidently this decision was based on me reviewing my P&Ls and i will be getting roughly a $3500 bonus for our Last QTR to bad uncle sam is going to take atleast 1/3 of it.:mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
now i can hardly wait. im hoping that once i get my bonus i can start building my A3 set up

either that or pay for Lasik

1 - 20 of 20 Posts