AR15 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying (gulp) a new Eotech scope. Any thoughts on which model number? Also will it mount on top of carry handle on a carbine? I like the idea of using AA bateries because they are more available. Any advice welcome.
Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I could be wrong, but I have never seen an eotech on top of a carry handle. There are different model numbers, all of which would fit on a flat top without any special mount. I know others here can shed more light on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you're real abusive with firearms, you might want to take a look at this model Bushnell Holosight. It is the same as an Eotech, minus the armor plating (a little $1 strip of aluminum and some time).

EDIT: If I worked with a gun, I'd get an Eotech, but I don't so ........... Call me cheap. I love this thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you're real abusive with firearms, you might want to take a look at this model Bushnell Holosight. It is the same as an Eotech, minus the armor plating (a little $1 strip of aluminum and some time).

EDIT: If I worked with a gun, I'd get an Eotech, but I don't so ........... Call me cheap. I love this thing.
Is it in fact the same, i.e. made by the same company minus the extra parts, or just similar? Same and Similar are not the same... only similar...

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Is it in fact the same, i.e. made by the same company minus the extra parts, or just similar? Same and Similar are not the same... only similar...
I have heard that it is the same, minus the hood. I believe they are made by the same company and then the eotech has the hood added to be marketed to law enforcement and military.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Yup there pretty close except the eotech has the newer revision which solved a couple small problems. i think they just gave it a longer battery life and something else but i could be wrong and the bushnell could have it as well.

I went ahead and spent a little more and got the eotech 512 its sweet the bushnell would have been more then fine i just wanted the name i guess plus i got mine for what i see used ones go for if i ever wanted to sell it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure where it is, but I once read that Eotech contracted with Bushnell to make the holosight when Eotech first developed holographic sight technology. Eotech owns the patent rights. So how else could Bushnell offer this other than to enter into a contract with Eotech. I think Bushnell was the financial push behind the original design.

A little more I dug up. Hah, I was right (almost):D
The gold mine answer. 1991-2000
"The leading riflescope manufacturers were approached to find a marketing partner. A contract was signed with Bushnell Sports Optics to sell the holographic weapon sight in the consumer market."

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
As stated above mostly the same mimus a few things, including
-the protective cover
-waterproofing (mot sure about all EOTech models being water proof)
-Internal filling for shock resistance
-newer revision

For the average Joe, the Bushnell should be just fine. Having said that I went with the EOTech

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Whichever version you go with get the one that takes AA batteries and use the Energizer lithium's. They last a really long time. Even plain old alkaline Duracell's last a long time but the lithiums put the Energizer in the bunny for sure!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Back to the original question :p

model 512 AA batteries without nightvision

Yes you COULD mount it on top of the carry handle with a picatinny rail OR with a "gooseneck" that attaches to the carry handle and then steps down to just over the handguards. Second method would be alot better.

With it mounted to the top of the carry handle it would be way too high.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking at the 512. Don't need the night vision. If the bushnell is the same, I'll check it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I was looking at the 512 also, but don't know if it and the 3x magnifier will fit on a detachable tactical carry handle. Anyone know if they will fit? I am looking at the Bushnell HOLOsight as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts