AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after reading the sticky thread, "So you want to buy an AR-15 - FAQs," I had in my mind that what the gentleman who wrote the article said made a lot of sense and his pictures backed his claims. He preferred the CMMG upper over most others out there with the exception of the $700 upper versions. He also had less than positive things to say about bushmaster and DPMS, both of which seem to be the preferred AR brand on XDTalk. So, my question to everyone is why did you choose the brand you did? And did you read the sticky article before you made your purchase?

The man seemed very knowledgeable when talking about AR's and while he based his final build specs off of a police combat AR, he also mentioned what he would personally build if he wasn't forced to restrict his purchases to fit his needs as a LEO. He seemed very adamant that DPMS uppers were pretty substandard and not a good choice and also had a few negative things to say about bushmasters. Since I see both of these brands discussed and recommended on here so much I really would love to know everyone's reasoning on it all.

Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Combination of value, appearance, and quality. I had not seen that particular link, however I was familiar with Rob's chart when I bought my M&P15T.

I don't know that I'd say Bushmaster and DPMS are the preferred brand here, yeah there are a lot fo them out there but I'd venture to say two big reasons for that are local availability/visibility and marketing. When you can build a complete LMT rifle, which is by all accounts a superior weapon, for less than a grand, I see no reason to pay a retail price for a Bushy or DPMS. By build of course I mean simply buying a complete upper, complete lower, and BCG and pushing the pins in on the lower to connect them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I chose a RRA for my first AR because of the overwhelming good feedback I got from RRA owners. They were right; it was a great AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not necessarily a 'brand' reason for me, since it was just for plinking to begin with... I knew I didn't want to build my first rifle. I got my S&W because it was on 'sale' (from it's ridiculous $1750 initial retail price) at my local gunshop/range. The Bushy's & Stags they carry were similarly sale priced but they had none of their flattops in stock that day I got the rifle bug, so I went with the S&W since it had a slightly nicer overall finish & was gonna cost the same either way. Plus, it had nice flip irons stock to boot! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't choose my Armalite. It choose me.

I was at the store and it was on the shelf, giving me that look... It was a naughty gun and I had to take it home to show the folks.

All my weapons are choose based on price.

Hardwarz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I built both of mine. Both of which have STAG uppers. My M4gery is on a Mega lower (best fit and finish I have ever seen on a lower) with a Stag LPK, the 20" is built on a RRA lower with a Stag Lpk as well.

I really like the Stag uppers. The fit and finish is great and they are accurate.

My babies...

and the final iteration of my M4gery...

on the Mega lower...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a CMMG upper and i really like it. my next ar will be a CMMG also. if you have any specific questions pm me or post here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ego and peer pressure have a lot to do with how people percheive and choose their weapons. This is true in law enforcement as well as other areas.

My first cop job (in 1976) required me to buy a revolver and if you didn't have a Colt or S&W you were considered an ignorant fool. I bought a Ruger Security Six in stainless steel because the $5.14/hour they were paying me just didn't get me a S&W Mod. 66. Cops from all around took pleasure in denegrating my lowly Ruger until I won the county wide police pistol shoot with it.

Glocks were widely denounced as a cheap plastic POS when they first came out.

Much later when I was looking for an inexpensive pistol for my son to use in IDPA I picked up an HS2000. We got so much grief about this "cheap POS" gun at the meets that my son refused to use it. I decided I would show the snobs a thing or two and regularly cleaned their clocks with it. Took second in the IDPA state meet that year with it in fact. Nay, nay, you got beat by a cheap plastic Croatian POS pistol...:D

I am not saying that all cheap guns are a good value, but you can get a good AR at a good value. Much of the cost of high priced ARs have little to do with reliability and function. They are simply cosmetic add-ons, accessories, or un-needed enhancements. Kind of like putting top of the line $1K a piece rims and racing tires on my 5 year old Ford Focus which I use to commute back and forth to work. Looks cool, doesn't really change what it is.

If you were battling in the jungles of Viet Nam with an M16 with faulty ammo and were unable to clean your rifle, then a chrome lined bore would be a worth while investment. Do you really need that on a rifle that you shoot a couple hundred rounds a year? Do you really need an enhanced bolt carrier on a semi-auto? Or $50 pistol grips, or $150 super duper high tech tele stock? Do you need really cool little stylized X on every part of your rifle? That's what you're paying for.

Bushy's, Stags, CMMG, RRA, DPMS, S&W (and others) are all good quality guns and will serve most people well.

And yes, I have about 8 AR15s, all of which are parts guns of various makes. Some have chrome bores some don't. Will they shoot 500-1K rounds day in and day out at some armchair commando school? Don't know, don't care, ain't ever gonna try it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LMT has an impeccable reputation.
I didn't want just a plinker, range toy or whatever. I wanted a carbine that I can depend on, and I did it for less than a grand.

$140 Lauer Custom Weaponry LMT Lower, with LCW LPK
$ 85 BCM M4 Stock kit, Milspec reciever ext, heavy buffer
$485 LMT M4 Upper - 16" 1/7 CB Barrel, PRI Big Latch
$129 BCM M16 BCG with reliability package

$839 Total for the Rifle
+
$90 6 Magpul PMags
$36 Shipping from 3 sources
$20 FFL Transfer Fee
$146 Total for Accessories and Fees

My bro gave me a KAC Rail system, and a Matech BUIS for Christmas - Lucky me :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading that article I posted, the guy made enough sense and backed up his statements with enough evidence that I am pretty much set on a CMMG complete upper. I need to do some research on barrel length and such, though. I really don't understand why people would want a 11.5" barrel or a 14.5" barrel when they have to extend the gun to 16" permanently anyway. Might as well make that entire 16" barrel if that is the case. Anyways, like I said, I will research some on that topic.

CMMG upper and any lower I find that is a decent price I guess. After hearing what you all have to say, and I think you all for your responses, it sounds like everyone has their own reasons for buying what they did. I will probably wait till the next gun show and see what kind of prices they can give me on a completed lower OR order a stripped lower online and put it together once it gets shipped to me. So many choices, but that's half the fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive been a Colt fan since I was kid.I love there 1911's and revolvers,so it was a given that I would buy a Colt AR.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My first buy was the Armalite AR10 only because that was the best deal at the time. My dealer saved me almost 600.00 on a new in box. Got it for just a little over 900.00 plus 35.00 fee for back ground ckeck. The next one was a kit with Bushmaster (ar15)Upper and Rock River lower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My first buy was the Armalite AR10 only because that was the best deal at the time. My dealer saved me almost 600.00 on a new in box. Got it for just a little over 900.00 plus 35.00 fee for back ground ckeck. The next one was a kit with Bushmaster (ar15)Upper and Rock River lower.
You got a screaming deal on that.

I bought the Armalite AR10 because it is the premier mfg/rifle in that platform. For the overall investment it wasn't that much more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You got a screaming deal on that.

I bought the Armalite AR10 because it is the premier mfg/rifle in that platform. For the overall investment it wasn't that much more.
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 :lol:

The dealer also through in a set of night sights and the carry handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I chose a RRA for my first AR because of the overwhelming good feedback I got from RRA owners. They were right; it was a great AR.
That is exactly what did it for me, 3 of the RRA owners/fans that I know happen to be 3 gun competitors that run their AR's hard. I bought an Elite CAR A4 and it has won my brother over and he owns two Colts and carries a third in his go bag (SWAT). For my intended use, its price and reliability it has served me well.

now here shortly mvician is going to come along and rag on me for choosing something other than Colt but that is OK, I like the guy in spite of himself :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I also chose the RRA Elite CAR A4. I liked RRA's reputation and most of all the mid-lengh handguard and gas system. The match trigger was another key factor.

I'm considering putting a CMMG upper on the RRA lower. That will rock, no pun intended.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 :lol:

The dealer also through in a set of night sights and the carry handle.
If we ever meet.... not only am I going to shoot your gun but I will go through all of your ammo and date your wife! you bastage! LOL

seriously good for you bro!

excellent excellent choice on a rifle!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts