AR15 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading threads about back up iron sights since I'm planning to get a flat top. I've seen posts about $200 Troy iron sights and others in the $150 range. I've also seen sub-$100 BUIS. Why?

I can understand when it comes to optics. Higher quality lenses can cost more but iron is iron. How can the cost of BUIS differ so much?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess would be because it takes all kinds of intricate machining, and it all has to be perfect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why are stripped lowers so expensive? To me a rear site seems a lot more complicated than a stripped lower.

I just ordered some promag sites, $90 for both the flip up front and rear. I'll let you know how it works out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason they cost so much is because you will pay the money for them and if you dont, the next guy will...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with the cheaper BUIS is the big, easy to adjust windage knob.

I use BUIS for exactly that... Back-up. I want to set them once and forget about them until I actually need them. With the large knobs, there is a much greater chance of them being bumped and knocked around, and possibly changing your POA/POI. When the SHTF and you need your BUIS, you want them to be right where you left them.

That's why I am spending more on the Troy sights. The rear actually locks into place. Once you adjust it, that's where it stays until you change it. For a range gun, the cheaper ones are fine, and they're actually easier for fine-tuning or constant adjustment. For my SHTF gun, though, it's Troy all the way for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your inputs. For my range plinking AR, I think I'll settle for the less expensive ones. I can use Locktite to keep them from turning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your inputs. For my range plinking AR, I think I'll settle for the less expensive ones. I can use Locktite to keep them from turning.
But you won't have the e-peni$ if you don't spend 3x as much for something.

The reason they charge so much for some brands is because people buy based on a perceived increase in quality with an increase in price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are three BUIS for under $50. I can't seem to justify a $150 Troy when these will do the same thing.

Leapers

Leapers

ProMag
Leapers is cheap junk....barely above airsoft toy gun crap
ProMag is a bit above that.

Don't know where you are shopping at but I bought a "used" Troy rear for $85, just had to clean the tan krylon off of it. Underneath the paint it still looked brand new :cool:

I'd rather buy something used than to buy the stuff that is "just as good".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason they cost so much is because you will pay the money for them and if you dont, the next guy will...
I too think this is true. The juice drinking is very strong on the internet. For the most part, I go cheap as possible, if it does not work out, then I upgrade. The saying pay once cry once never worked for me. I believe the internet rangers say that so they can feel good about paying $150 for a rear site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trust me... If I could find a sight cheaper than the Troy that actually LOCKS in place, I would be all over it!

As I said before, the big knobs make windage adjustments nice and easy for the range. But, knocking around in your trunk during a SHTF scenario turns the big (easy turning) knob into a liability.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recently ordered MI BUIS for my DPMS LR308. I can't really give you an special reason why. I took a look on line and thought they looked ok. When they arrive, I will see if I like them or not. Initially I thought the prices were high as well but I figured if that is what they cost, that's what they cost. I've never used BUIS before so the MI units will be my first experience with them.

Midwest Industries: SPLP (Same Plane Low Profile)
Midwest Industries: Flip Up Front Sight

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've been reading ar15.com and m4carbine.net lately, now that I started to build one. I notice there are quite a few LEO/military types who need a lot from their rifle. These are people who use their AR in a life or death situation. These seem to be the folks who are paying for $200 sights. The rest of the folks either take home defense to the same level as combat or just want to be like them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been reading ar15.com and m4carbine.net lately, now that I started to build one. I notice there are quite a few LEO/military types who need a lot from their rifle. These are people who use their AR in a life or death situation. These seem to be the folks who are paying for $200 sights. The rest of the folks either take home defense to the same level as combat or just want to be like them.
I completely agree with your assessment. My LEO and military buddies give me crap about my "optics only" ARs because of what could happen to render an optic useless. But, I own multiple ARs and, quite frankly, they are all pretty much "range toys".

I do have one AR that I'm building as my "stake-your-life-on-it" carbine that will be my go-to gun if/when the SHTF... That one is getting the best of everything with no compromises, so $250 sights aren't an issue for me. Although I will not be putting them on all my ARs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts