AR15 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a upper RRA 223/5.56 and a DMPS lower. Just bought 1000 rds of Wolf ammo. Has any body have any problems with this ammo??:?:

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I've only shot Remington ammo though my RRA, so no experince with that in mine. I have a buddy who has used Wolf brass with no issues.(bushmaster).

I will be happy to try a hundred rounds though... just send them my way! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
You'll probly have plenty people here say it's fine. My bro used it in his Bushmaster and had a bunch of FTE's. One thing everyone will agree with though is clean your gun thoroughly. The laqour coating that preserves the wolf ammo is no good for any gun and likes to stick to everything.

But if you have an AK or SKS those will eat wolf as fast as you can feed em.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure you have a hardened extractor, steel cased ammo will break the 'low buck' brass only ones if you shoot it regularly-it did in my AR180b. Other than that, lube it good and keep the chamber clean, the laquer will gum up the works, it can do it in an AK too. Wolf also makes a polymer coated ammo (like Barnual-Barnual/Sliver Bear is better) but it costs just a tad more.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Just bought 1000 rds of Wolf ammo. Has any body have any problems with this ammo??:?:
Just do a google search for "Wolf ammo AR15" and you'll get plenty of answers.

I don't really like wolf at all. Not only because of the lacquer gunking everything up, but it also groups all over the place. I've also seen a Bushmaster dead in the water because of a stuck casing after rapid fire. OA2.org :: View topic - It's official, wolf is garbage

OK probably for slow and casual plinking, but I wouldn't trust my life to it if that's what you're wanting to do with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have a upper RRA 223/5.56 and a DMPS lower. Just bought 1000 rds of Wolf ammo. Has any body have any problems with this ammo??:?:
Upgrade your extractor tension with the "D-ring". It is a rubber ring that goes around the extractor. With the wolf, there is more build up a gunk that after a while can start acting as an adhesive on the cases in the chamber. I have the D-ring and have shot about 100 rounds of wolf with absolutely no problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there, new here, but I have an Oly arms AR, I have used wolfe ammo with out a problame so far, but you really do need to make sure you clean your gun really well after shooting, I usually spend some time cleaning the laquer out of the gun after shooting. The grouping isn't the greatest either, seems a little inconsistent, I have yet, and I emphasize yet, to have a FTE, but from what I heard it seems inevitable. we'll see though, good luck with it and clean, clean, clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Personally, I think Wolf is targeted to the "just wanna shoot" guys as opposed to the "gotta be accurate as possible" shooters. Nobody accused Wolf of being match grade. It goes bang, and to some, that is what counts the most.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Any new Wolf that you get should have the polymer coating instead of the laquer coating. I think that the "military classic" still uses the laquer but I'm not 100 percent on that.

I bought some from a gun show only about 60 rounds but I've gotten lots of FTFs out of them. Solid primer stikes just no "bang" to go along with it. It's the only Wolf I've ever had that did this so I'm not ready to lump Wolf into the "bad" catagorey yet it could just be a bad lot which every manuf. makes from time to time.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
You'll probly have plenty people here say it's fine. My bro used it in his Bushmaster and had a bunch of FTE's. One thing everyone will agree with though is clean your gun thoroughly. The laqour coating that preserves the wolf ammo is no good for any gun and likes to stick to everything.
FWIW it's not the lacquer thats the main issue most people encounter. My Bushmaster XM15 had similar FTE problems with wolf. The gun functioned perfectly, it's the steel case thats the problem. The extractor would rip part of the back of the case/rim off leaving the case still in the weapon. Only solution was a cleaning rod down the barrel and a hammer/mallet to pound it out. Each time was due to a steel case sitting in the hot chamber. Steel expands more slowly than brass (one reason why steel cased ammo appears 'dirtier') and when it does, it doesn't have brasses malleability properties so it just 'sticks'. Be it lacquer, polymer or zinc coated... doesn't matter. First time firing wolf thru it or you're 1,000th.

Reno, Provided you don't let rounds sit in a hot chamber you should be fine. Also the tighter your chamber (especially if it isn't chrome lined) the worse the issues. Do NOT use it in keltec PLR, lol. My otherwise flawless PLR cannot handle silver bear (I'm not risking wolf), I tried and had 2 out of 8 round rip part of the rips off. Cold gun too...

I don't shoot any steel cased thru my AR's. It's not worth the problems. On the other hand our AK's, SKS', Uzi's and Galil get a steady diet of steel cased ammo. They are made for steel cased ammo after all.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I have two RRA's and all I shoot in them for pratice is Wolf. I have never had one problem with it. Not saying it can't happen, but mine seem to like it. It is more accurate then I would have ever thought for cheap ammo. Last time we were at the range I shot a 1/2 inch five round group at 100 yards. Not too bad for basic FMJ ammo. I would like to see what it would do with some Match ammo. Only problem I have with the Wolf is it seems to make the gun more dirty then other ammo.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
wolf is all i have fed through my bushmaster and never a problem. that's an easy 1,500 round. i use the polymer coated. i have also used the new military stuff, no problems either. I think its the same stuff just a new box IMO.;) If your gun won't shoot it I'll take it:D

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I've shot at least 2-3 thousand rounds of wolf through my AR and haven't had any issues to talk about. A rare FTF, but that's it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Shoot it and enjoy...Wolf is also pretty good if you have any issues with the ammo...you can send in any defective casings/rounds and they will usually make it right.

I've run a bunch of it through my AR with very few problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Not only should Wolf not give you any problems, but I reload the steel cases! No problems yet, and the necks usually get splits in them before anything bad happens, so I throw those out at the first sign of neck splits.

The problem with wolf and running problems has nothing to do with the coating used on the outside of the case. With brass, the case expands when fired, and seals off the chamber. Brass is softer than steel, so it does this quite well.

Steel is not as soft as brass, and does not stretch enough when fired to seal off the chamber, so carbon from the dirtier powder in Wolf brand ammo leaks around the case into the chamber, where it will line the walls of the chamber, and stick quite well. Eventually, for some 100 rounds, for some 1K rounds, and some may never shoot enough to get this problem, enough carbon will build up on the chamber walls that you will have some kind of problem.

Steel cased ammo is also harder on the extractor of many guns, so you can expect this item to wear faster than with softer brass. If you plan on shooting a lot of Wolf, then you might want to consider having a spare extractor, spring, and whatever you want to to help the spring tension, like a D-fender, on hand for quick repairs.

And before someone goes spouting off about how crappy steel cased ammo is, it helped win WWII. There was a lot of steel cased ammo shot out of M1 Garand rifles.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Not only should Wolf not give you any problems, but I reload the steel cases! No problems yet, and the necks usually get splits in them before anything bad happens, so I throw those out at the first sign of neck splits.
Thats crazy I didn't think you could do that, is there any thing special to it or do you reload like brass?

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I put 20 rds through the pipe this afternoon without any problems just to see if I would get jams....just shot it into the bank of dirt. Rapid fire... slow fire... no problems. Clean it when I got home and only notice red stuff on the bolt up front by the ejector. I'll try putting 100 to 200 rds through it this week. I'll post any pics of the red stuff next time I shoot. Thanks for all your input.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts