AR15 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OOPS, sorry, didn't see the AR forum. Guess this one goes over there.

YAY, it came true, a AR page for us. THANKS, Kermie!!!

----------
YAY!!! Happy belated B-Day to me....

Got email from the place I ordered my Rock River 9mm. It's here. Now just have to wait for the government paperwork, my autorization to transport it to the club and it will ship to my door! YAY!!!

Bummer.... now I have to load even more 9mm! :p

I'll post a quality report on RRA and range report when it's here. But, from what I hear RRA is pretty good quality, and that's why I ordered one of theirs, so it should be a positive report.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks Buddy...

I can't wait. The dealer received it and emailed me on my B-day. I paid the bill the day after and the federal transfer was filed Friday so it should be here soon. And it was perfect timing we all got the AR Room, too! :D

Now all I have to do is cast some more 38 SWC's, resize them to 9mm and see if those feed in the thing and we'll be all set. That should be KEWL! Nice clean SWC targets with an AR :twisted:

----
PS thanks to our webmaster who moved the thread to the right room ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OOPS, sorry, didn't see the AR forum. Guess this one goes over there.

YAY, it came true, a AR page for us. THANKS, Kermie!!!

----------
YAY!!! Happy belated B-Day to me....

Got email from the place I ordered my Rock River 9mm. It's here. Now just have to wait for the government paperwork, my autorization to transport it to the club and it will ship to my door! YAY!!!

Bummer.... now I have to load even more 9mm! :p

I'll post a quality report on RRA and range report when it's here. But, from what I hear RRA is pretty good quality, and that's why I ordered one of theirs, so it should be a positive report.
Ok I just went this route and I have an RRA 9mm. First off don't shoot +p ammo in a magazine that locks the bolt open on the last shot. It will break your bolt stop quickly. (4 rounds on my gun.) If you want to shoot hot ammo or use a bolt hold open magazine (colt style vs UZI) then get a heavy buffer made by slash on AR15.com. I did. Also get your bolt ramped if you want to installed a aftermarket trigger. The standard RRA 9mm trigger sucks. If you start having malfunctions check the positon of the mag block in the reciever. They can get pushed up too high after a lot of mag seatings. These are fun guns but a lot more fussy than .223 AR's.
Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey everybody... it has arrived! Just hope my papers to take her out come before the w/e.

Alaskapopo... thanks for all the great advice. I'm sure it will come in handy to know once I get her out and see how she shoots. I just ordered a stock version. No fancy options but I'm sure everything will be fine. And not to worry, I only use mid loads in 9mm since I use them in different guns and practice for bullseye and IPSC.

Ok... fit and finish are great. Just as good as my Armalite but since RRA is a well known company, I figured as much. Lots of oil and goop to clean up before she goes on her first outing. That I do like to see in a brand new gun. Shows the manufacturer cares about being lubed well and also moisture protection during shipping.

Dry firing with a snap cap, the trigger is nice and crisp for a bone stock trigger. I'm sure she'll be just as nice as my stock Armalite once she gets a few hundred rounds on her.

Sights are a bit different since the pull seems a bit shorter with the adjustable stock but I'm sure it will be hardly noticable on the range. As far as quick testing adjustments go... she is dead on with the laser bore sighter against the wall so I probably won't have to do much adjusting to sight her in.

The ten round RRA Pistol magazines all fit well and lock in place easier than the factory Uzi-modified steel one.

Bolt locks open with empty Pistol mags but not 5rd factory steel one.

Loaded and chambered all the snap caps I ran through her.

Basically once I clean her up she is set to go to the range and should be right along what all the other users at the various forums have stated about Rock River. I can't wait! :twisted:

2 together...

Closeup (I know it's on "FIRE" but it's unloaded)...

With the smaller scope (for the pistol range since I can shoot her there, too) and the bipod...

Basic configuration... how she will be shot most of the time...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just becareful with the mags that lock the gun open. RRA's have a bad habit of breaking bolt stops. I would use the stock UZI mags for most of your range work.
Here is mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YAY! I finally got my new AR to the range. That thing is so fun to shoot! Everything worked as expected with no FTF's or any other problems.

Unlike my Armalite the sights were off. The .223 was test fired and bang on right out of the box. Rock River needed to be adjusted. Since a 9mm round can't be used as a front sight tool like a .223 can, it still needs more fine sighting in adjustments.

The 6-position stock is still too short for me even fully extended. Easy to fix with a regular stock. Guess I should have ordered it with one instead of the "stock" configuration.

The magazines are way too long for bench shooting. I didn't get to try it lying down, but it might be a problem shooting like that, too. I had the bipod fully extended for those things to clear and now my neck hurts for having to stretch.

OK, that's about it for the minor complaints.

Standing and kneeling it's sooooo much fun to shoot! I don't know if it's the blow-back design but it has a nicer kick than the gas .223 does.

Groups weren't as tight as the .223 but with the shorter barrel, lower velocities, heavier bullets I never expected it to not be anything like a .223 is.

The thing I loved best about the test firing today was it shot and loaded each and every SWC I put in her. Obviously the lead came after several rounds of FMJ's to break her in. SWC in 9mm is SOOOOO KEWL!!! Nice round holes and accurate. Stayed til closing and in a rush, so I forgot to grab a couple of targets with them bullets.

Considering it's not a .223 I am totally happy with the thing. I bought it for a fun indoor gun and that's exactly what it is! Everybody looked at me strange walking onto the pistol range with that long case and a couple people tried to complain when out came a rifle, but hey... it's a 9mm!!!! :p

Them SWC's. They are so kewl! Lee 105grain 38/357 bullets resized down to 9mm... (sorry, cheap camera)

My first target with FMJ Round Nose @ 25m...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very nice and very jealous LOL. Hey if i might ask, could I get a hint on the price? Looks awsome though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, but it won't do you any good. Everything is about 33-50% higher here in Canada. I think just the rifle was $1600. I put a lot of stuff on that order so I will have to check an exact figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do round count limits run on a 9mm rifle? Is it still 5 rounds, or do you get 10 since it's a 'pistol' caliber?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Officially it's a semi-automatic rifle here, so it's limited to 5 rounds. The factory mag that came with it is pinned to 5.

But Rock River Arms makes a AR pistol in 9mm and .223 so there is a loop-hole in the law. Their pistol magazines are engraved "Pistol" and under Canadian law, a magazine is limited in rounds for the gun it was "manufactured for", not specifically what gun it fits in. So, since their pistol magazine just happens to fit in a rifle, it is legal to have 10 rounds. :D I got lots some for my .223 now, too!

That was debated by the Federal courts and Federal Law Enforcement and for a change, something good actually came out of it! :p

The CX Storms and those Ruger (PC? PX? whatever they are called) rifles are the same. You can't use mail-order US/Foreign legal magazines or modify the original or replacement mags because they are classified as rifle mags. But the ones for their pistols will work in the rifle. BUT Beretta and Ruger don't engrave their magazines like RRA does, so law enforcement cannot tell if it is a legal handgun magazine or an illegal rifle magazine so they aren't approved for use by the Feds since any misunderstanding is more of a PITA, time consuming and expensive on both sides.

So far Rock River has the only approved 10 round AR magazines here. Now that they've paid the legal expenses, R&D for the re-designing and have paved the way, I'm sure other manufacturers will follow. Unless the powers that be change the law again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
medicstimpy said:
Everybody looked at me strange walking onto the pistol range with that long case and a couple people tried to complain when out came a rifle, but hey... it's a 9mm!!!! :razz:
That cracks me up! I swear some folks aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. The first time I had my long case at my local indoor range, the employee waiting on me asked what I had in the case, and that was it. No one on the range ever gave me a second look. Maybe that was because the range has a 9mm AR available for rental, maybe there are other 9mm ARs that come in.

And as far as your front sight adjustment goes, I used a ball point pen to depress my FS detent, and spun the post with my fingertip.

And is the RRA magazine plastic? If so, I guess you can cut it down for bench/prone shooting then, eh? Hmmm...

Looks like a sweet setup you've got there! What's the optic?

Congrats again! Have fun with it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, thanks, Buddy...

The optic? Some cheap Chinese made thing I got from a local retailer. I figured it's for fun and not for serious shooting like my .223 is so figured I didn't need to spend much on a scope for 25/50m indoors. I think the company is Leapers? Accushot? Something like that.

Well, I was the only one with a handgun chambered AR that these new members had ever seen so they thought they would be smart and give remarks. Too bad, I had a blast shooting it. I wasn't going to let them spoil my fun! :p

I just hope they aren't too long for shooting prone. I don't use the bipod or bench shoot much so the magazine lenght shouldn't be too much trouble. I can always use the factory steel UZI-modified one for bench shooting.

It was just my luck going with only the gun and ammo and safety equpiment the first day. I didn't even have a pen or screwdriver or nothing. Keys were too big to get in there. Got it adjusted on Sunday no problems. Them pointy .223 rounds are great since you can use them for tools on the AR. Just too bad I needed a tool on Saturday and round nose 9mm couldn't help. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts