AR15 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
I'm looking to make my AR more balanced and a bit lighter. I really like the concept behind the Mas Ayoob AR-15 and the Oly Arms fluted barrel AR.
Currently, I have a heavy barrel 16" and it shoots very accurately, but I'm interested into getting into 2 or 3 gun matches.
A two questions for you salty dogs:
1. Supposedly it aids in cooling and decreasing weight but would it drastically effect accuracy and durability?
2. I've searched on-line a bit, but couldn't find any fluted 16" or 14.5" barrels online for sale, if it's a midlength even better. Any leads?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sabre defense makes two fluted stainless barrels

Fluted barrels saposidley cool faster due to more surface area, but I have not personally had one so I wouldnt know 1st hand. I shoot all government conture ( light under handguards) barrels.

Link to sabre barrels.. Ive ordered from these guys before.. they are good to go.
http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_items.aspx?type=0&term=70&pg=3

also http://www.adcofirearms.com does great custom work if you need fluting done.

Hope that helps ya.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of this is mechanical and really has less to do with a gun barrel than it does with basic mechanical design principles.

Not sure where you'll find what you're after, but the fluting you refer to is used to reduce weight, increase longitudional stiffness, and as a secondary, increase surface area as it relates to thermal dissipation.

As for accuracy and durability,
If properly done, fluting will not affect either. If done incorrectly, accuracy will be the first thing to suffer.
I guess you could also say that by reducing the mass of the barrel via fluting, you decrease the reaction time (make more reactive) of hot/cold transfer and thus reduce the stability of the barrel as temperature shifts occur.

So everything has a trade-off.
A competent barrel maker, is going to know what they're doing. However, if you took a barrel to the corner machinist, yea it will ok right, but what stresses were imparted into that barrel? As long as it's not a never heard of manufacturer, go fluted and don't worry.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of my Bushies is fluted, the high
end one. Supposedly, the fluted barrel
dissapates about 70% more efficiently.

True of not, cannot prove it by me!

In my opinion, the grooves and ribs makes
sense. More surface area, and the ribs
would/should give it more strength, thus
bringing it back to a 'normal' position if
the barrel does get hot during sustained
fire.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Folks,
I'm looking to make my AR more balanced and a bit lighter. I really like the concept behind the Mas Ayoob AR-15 and the Oly Arms fluted barrel AR.
Currently, I have a heavy barrel 16" and it shoots very accurately, but I'm interested into getting into 2 or 3 gun matches.
A two questions for you salty dogs:
1. Supposedly it aids in cooling and decreasing weight but would it drastically effect accuracy and durability?
2. I've searched on-line a bit, but couldn't find any fluted 16" or 14.5" barrels online for sale, if it's a midlength even better. Any leads?
Thanks in advance,
Cheers.
Since you already own a heavy barrell, do your homework and find a GOOD gunsmith. Take your time and do your homework and find the best machinist and they can flute your barrell without you having to buy a completely new one. If done right and the machinist does not get in a hurry and keeps the barrell cool during milling then it should not affect accuracy at all. A guy I have shot with had it done to an RRA heavy barrell and he is very happy with it. I am a skeptic and overall a cheap bastard and after seeing his I will have it done to my RRA sometime this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cooling is a myth. A fluted barrel will have the same stiffness as an unfluted barrel of the same weight. Or, to get the same stiffness, the fluted barrel has to have a greater diameter. I think. This has been beat to death on the net, look at Varmint Al's web site for some nodal analysis.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cooling is a myth. A fluted barrel will have the same stiffness as an unfluted barrel of the same weight. Or, to get the same stiffness, the fluted barrel has to have a greater diameter. I think. This has been beat to death on the net, look at Varmint Al's web site for some nodal analysis.
A great site;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks for all the inputs and comments.

I think I'm going to spring for the Noveske and be done with it.
Now I'll have to gather the funds... the barrel costs almost as much as a stripped down M4rgery.

I'll post pictures if/when I get it built up.

This BRD can get pretty expensive.

Thanks, happy new year and as always, cheers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of my Bushies is fluted, the high
end one. Supposedly, the fluted barrel
dissapates about 70% more efficiently.

True of not, cannot prove it by me!

In my opinion, the grooves and ribs makes
sense. More surface area, and the ribs
would/should give it more strength, thus
bringing it back to a 'normal' position if
the barrel does get hot during sustained
fire.

Ed
well that 70% more efficently is most likely between the fluted barrel and on of the same weight. now if you took one barrel and tested it pre and post flute i would guess about 20% but i have no fluted barrels so thats just a random guess.
that being said i dont think you would ever regret getting one unless the accuracy sux but if you buy a reputable brand it shouldnt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My new AR build has a fluted barrel, Ill let you know next year how I like it..lol It seems to be extra heavy AND fluted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts